Firewood

afb91

Reaction score
So we just moved into a new house and I had a welcome gift of this awesome pallet of firewood for our fireplace. Now i do enjoy having a fire in the house but i was thinking would this be safe to use in the smoker? i have absolutely no idea what type of wood it is.

Attachments

• D7CE2DF6-CE12-48A7-B4E3-DF954C524033.jpg
    D7CE2DF6-CE12-48A7-B4E3-DF954C524033.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 231
Hard to tell for sure, but definitely looks like there's some oak there... Is it all the same wood or is it mixed? Looks like a few different colors of wood....

Hard to tell for sure, but definitely looks like there's some oak there... Is it all the same wood or is it mixed? Looks like a few different colors of wood....

I asked our realtor where she got it from then went to the nursery down the block they said its a mix of hardwoods

I'm going to say go for it with smoking... Most hardwoods are okay for it, they just have different flavor profiles.... Give them a try and see...

For the most part, as long as it is not coniferous it should be good. That looks like oak.

I'm going to say go for it with smoking... Most hardwoods are okay for it, they just have different flavor profiles.... Give them a try and see...

Thanks i just was hoping it wasnt in the pine family or any other softwoods. Since oak is what i prefer to smoke with this is good news!

Looks like mostly oak, some white oak on top. Yep use it, I use firewood all the time, most any hard wood will work fine.

For the most part, as long as it is not coniferous it should be good. That looks like oak.

This is good to know do you mind sharing some defining characteristics so i know what to look for when identifying? TIA

Hard to explain from here, but you can usually smell the pitch/resin in conifers, especially a fresh split

Yup, take a decent sized piece and light it and let it burn, and smell it.
It's easy to avoid pine if the bark is on. I don't see pine in that stack.
From your measly picture, all that wood look good to go.
That stringy stuff is oak, you want to avoid any really dark interior wood, might be black walnut. Very easy to spot. Deep brown. No go.

Since the OP is in Hyde Park, NY, which is along the Hudson, do you know, the 1936 Crew team rowed up river after practice and knocked on the door of President Roosevelt's home, and his son answered the door. Franklin, JR., who rowed for Harvard, answered the door, and entertained his rowing 'adversaries' of Washington State for an hour.
Washington State went on to WIN the 1936 Olympic Rowing Title in Berlin.

Since the OP is in Hyde Park, NY, which is along the Hudson, do you know, the 1936 Crew team rowed up river after practice and knocked on the door of President Roosevelt's home, and his son answered the door. Franklin, JR., who rowed for Harvard, answered the door, and entertained his rowing 'adversaries' of Washington State for an hour.

Totally off topic: "The Boys in the Boat", by Daniel James Brown, is all about the 1936 Washington State rowing team. One of the best books I have ever read (and I read a lot).

https://www.amazon.com/Boys-Boat-Am...ywords=boys+in+the+boat&qid=1579268149&sr=8-1

That stringy stuff is oak, you want to avoid any really dark interior wood, might be black walnut. Very easy to spot. Deep brown. No go.

sorry for the measly picture lol and thanks for the information it was helpful.

I did not know any of this thanks for sharing!

Just FYI - you CAN cook with black walnut, as long as you keep the smoke clean. I've used it before with no problems. It's like a slightly stronger version of hickory.

But I don't see anything in the pic that resembles black walnut.

Back