Chip smoker brisket flat

tburda

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Howdy everyone, I dont think i've posted in a better part of 2 years. (life changes yada yada nobody cares about that crap where's the que?)

Anyway, I got myself challenged to a chili cookoff. Going to be tons of fun. However, I'm not a big chili cook, I usually do failsafe, tomato sauce with pre-mix jar chili powder, adjusted garlic and cayenne to taste, ground beef, (no beans) and the usual, onions, tomato's mushrooms and me and the woman both like them, serve with cheese. Nothing special, at all. run of the mill chili.

SO. I can't do that, because there's some trophy involved here. lol. I have already decided there will be a brisket. (another wrench) I dont have time to fire the UDS and do a packer. With work, plus we just got word today, and accepted a counter offer to purchase a new home, we're looking to have inspections and contractors for estimates in the new home saturday morning (the morning of the cookoff.) Therefore, I'm going to do 2 flats in my electric chip smoker. I LOVE the ease and results I get from the chip smoker for quick things. It's makes great ABT's and similar. I am wondering if anyone has advice on getting closer to that deep smoke flavor and ring of smoking over hardwood lump. Thats the only downside, the chip smoker doesnt give quite the same depth of smoke flavor. Any tips are appreciated, and looking forward to getting back into the throwdowns!

To bad you decided against the UDS. Seems the chip smoker would be more of a pita to keep chips going than the drum. Brisket is going to take a lot longer than ABTs, unless you finish it in that steel box in the kitchen. Just my .02.

Oh!......and congrats on the new house!

Last edited:
Briskeys do take awhile... 18hrs for my last one... The amazn pellet smoke generator works well... Or just keep adding chips as used... But you're making chili so the ring isnt as inportant as say, sammiches!!

Garyclaw, The chip smoker is electric (IMO, outdoor oven with chip tray lol). So it stays hot, but as you run out of chips, it's just less smoky. I have done butts in it and they come out pretty good. I'd love to do the UDS, i just wont have time to babysit it. Thanks, hoping it all works out with the house.

Bludawg, I appreciate your comment, but I do that when I make chili for me and the woman, as we both love mushrooms. I also dip my pizza in ranch, what about it? :biggrin1:

Wickedcajun, I usually take 12-14 doing packers, but this time I'm just doing a flat. cant fit a packer in the little cheater box lol. I had thought that about the ring too. That the purpose for using the electric deal, I know I have to check chips about every 45-75 minutes. So that should give me enough time to do what I need to do. Not rushing it, i just need something I can leave alone for a little while so, electric box it is.

Briskeys do take awhile... 18hrs for my last one... The amazn pellet smoke generator works well... Or just keep adding chips as used... But you're making chili so the ring isnt as inportant as say, sammiches!!

I agree...if it's going in the chili no one will see the smoke rings. Just get some good smoke on it early on and then let it go. I think it will add a lot of flavor to the chili regardless.

Back