Need UDS Donor parts in Canada.

Petee_c

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm about to start my journey into UDSdom.

I got a food grade barrel with a lid. It held grape juice before so it's got a liner. It doesn't have ribbed sides. I'm hoping it lasts a few years, but it seems to be fairly light gauge metal. I got the lid, barrel and band for $15.

I'll be doing a burnout of the liner and paint as soon as it dries out around here. Might be some dry weather on the weekend.

I'm having a problem sourcing parts at a reasonable cost.

Craigslist and Kijiji are coming up with $100+ used weber grills within a 20 minute drive of me. I've looked online at the Cdn sites for HD, Lowes, Home hardware, Cdn Tire and can't find the grates for the 22" size for under $40.

I'm contemplating ordering the Masterbuilt Pro 22" kettle from Homedepot dot ca for $70 and maybe using the lid, grill and grate from that.

The expanded metal, I hope to get to the metal supermarket in Kitchener on Saturday morning for a reasonable price.

I've only done ribs and wings before smoked on a Broil King Sovereign propane grill. I do the indirect heat with hickory chips/ pellets wrapped in a foil package. For the ribs I did 75 min smoke, 120 mins oven at 230F (had to leave the house), 60 mins foiled, then 60 mins back on the grill on low. sauced with PC brand hickory bbq sauce.

I'll attach a pic of ribs I did this way a couple weeks ago.

Attachments

• steel drum.jpg
    steel drum.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 138
  • 20141004_181048_resized.jpg
    20141004_181048_resized.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 138
Check stores like Walmart, Target, Kmart, etc for grates. I know at my local Wally I can buy the "off brand" grates for around $15 US. You might also be able to find a 22.5" kettle of some brand as well as a donor for lesser amounts. I was about to break down and buy one for my UDS project when I lucked out and found a Weber on CL around the corner from me after about 2 months of searching.

good luck with your build!

I'm about to start my journey into UDSdom.

I'm contemplating ordering the Masterbuilt Pro 22" kettle from Homedepot dot ca for $70 and maybe using the lid, grill and grate from that.

Here the replacement charcoal grate goes for $10 and the grill grate for $20. If I were patient I would've spent more time looking for a donor grill since I'm probably going to have to do that to get the dome lid. Maybe ask the guys at HD or Lowe's if they have any damaged ones in the back they're willing to sell.

It seems like when I wasn't looking, there was always one sitting out by the curb waiting for trash pick up. Good luck!

Check KW Surplus for your hardware (i.e. valves, or whatever your air intake might be). If any local Walmarts have any Weber silvers left, offer them $68 for it.....you might be surprised. If not, the flat lid will work for now and get a grate from Home Depot..$24.99. Good luck!

Watch Amazon , and give www.bbqs.com a try 800-387-7757 is the number you also might be able to get a price from weber themselves 1 (800) 265-2150

The grates are on Amazon as cheap as $10.99 USD for the basic. Sometimes you can find the nicer ones at Walmart on clearance for $10-15.

Thanks guys,

I think Canadians order through Amazon.ca not Amazon.Com, but I'm not an expert.
They have different prices for some reason.

I found a 'new' Weber 22" kettle on kijiji for $75. A member here alerted me to a used one about 50 miles away for $40,but not sure if it's worth the extra 90-120 minutes drive time when you take into account the $10 for diesel to get there.

Peter

We can order from either amazon site, .com or .ca , but if you order from the US amazon certain items don't ship internationally, and certain ones have exorbitant shipping rates. Other items the shipping is free above a certain $$, or the shipping is about the same as here. It's hit and miss.

Thanks guys,

I think Canadians order through Amazon.ca not Amazon.Com, but I'm not an expert.
They have different prices for some reason.

I found a 'new' Weber 22" kettle on kijiji for $75. A member here alerted me to a used one about 50 miles away for $40,but not sure if it's worth the extra 90-120 minutes drive time when you take into account the $10 for diesel to get there.

Peter

Where abouts are you located? HD right now has great deals on weber products. $70 for the OTS, and $170 for the Weber smokey mountain 18.5" (if you can find it).

As for grates, I'd just bite the bullet and get them from amazon. That's where I get them.

Checked the Waterloo HD. No signs of any weber OTS or WSM. Just fake Christmas trees and snow blowers.

Good news.

I got the Weber OTS off of kijiji for $72.brand new and assembled. Missing the glass nylon handle cover of the the dome, but wondering if I can swap the one from the kettle to it. If not I'll machine a piece out of wood.

The guy won it in a draw, but lives in a condo apartment and can't use it. The dome fits perfectly over my barrel with no modifications. Sweet.

Got a piece of flat expanded metal #9 gauge 12x48" cut at the local metal supermarket for $21 after tax.

Now time to get to work on it.

Back