Shirley Fab shipping to SoCal

Jeffm827i

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Any of the Brethren that have had a Shirley Built wagon wheel style smoker shipped to the SoCal area, I am looking for shippers you used and cost to try and figure out my total budget to my front door. Any assistance is appreciated. :clap2:

I just took delivery of a 53 x 24 patio cart model from Paul. I am not in So Cal, but I am in AZ. I used Uship with a guy who's user name is BHOFFSCHNEIDER I know he is out of Cali, but I am not sure how often he gets out to Alabama?? It was 850 for my ship with the 29 extra to uship

David

I think it is a little bit of a racket, as I can get a pallet of pellets (say that 5 times fast) shipped for 350-400 bucks.

I had one quote of 1550.

I'm in So Cal and would like to know.
Have you tried calling Shirley Fab to ask them if they know?

It's about it's footprint as well as weight. Trailer can be 2-3 times the footprint of one pallet.

Exactly right. The wagon wheels make it a little easier to get on transport type movers. I had Paul weld in four tie down points on my cooker, made it easier to secure.

The 1550 quote came from the crating company Paul gave me to call.

I'm in So Cal and would like to know.
Have you tried calling Shirley Fab to ask them if they know?

Paul suggested u ship as he doesn't deal with shipping. I looked on line at us hip and it looks to be around $900 or so. Maybe a road trip.

If you can find the right freight broker and have it shipped as a "partial", with no delivery deadline, you can get it shipped much cheaper. I would look for a broker in and around Alabama that can find you a truck going in that direction. I used to pick up some "partials" whenever I had some deck space left on my trailer, to add to a load going somewhere. A lot of time it was to Ca. They often paid anywhere from $300 to $400 depending on where they were going, and the weight/space needed.

I once got a government load from Nc to out near San Fransisco, consisting of one Chevrolet pick up truck. The truck paid $2,100 and I found four partials to add on for a total of $3900 for the trip to Ca. Took me 6 days to complete the run and unload all of my freight.

Blessings,

Omar

Like mentioned, if your not in a hurry, either call a local haul service or other places that go cross country regularly. Lots of vehicles, car parts have been shipped/returned from Mich to AZ or Cal. etc for around $300 to $500 ( depending) due to they always look for ways to fill their trailers on empty return trips. I/we have used this place ALOT over the past 25+ yrs. Pilot Transport is another daily cross country but typically they are a bit more than Ruehles. Ruehles runs/hauls a lot of cover truck size trailers besides the big trailers.

http://www.ruehles.com/

I just got a freight quote from Pitmaker for a Vault trailer from Texas to Kentucky for $1350.
Needless to say I maybe making a trip to Texas in December unless I can get a cheaper quote.... IF we decide on a Pitmaker Pit for next comp season.

You may also find that you can get a better price by going "dock" to "dock". In other words pick it up at a commercial facility with a dock if you can. One more option you can look into is pick it up from your shipper at their local terminal. I am pretty sure your rate is higher if they are going to a non commercial address.

Plus anyone who has a dock, might just have a freight account. So if you know someone with a dock, you might could use their freight account as well. We get about 40% off of standard rates with two freight carriers.

I am not suggesting approaching people you dont know. I am suggesting that if you know someone with a dock, you might have them get the shipping quote and save some money.

You may also find that you can get a better price by going "dock" to "dock". In other words pick it up at a commercial facility with a dock if you can. One more option you can look into is pick it up from your shipper at their local terminal. I am pretty sure your rate is higher if they are going to a non commercial address.

Plus anyone who has a dock, might just have a freight account. So if you know someone with a dock, you might could use their freight account as well. We get about 40% off of standard rates with two freight carriers.

I am not suggesting approaching people you dont know. I am suggesting that if you know someone with a dock, you might have them get the shipping quote and save some money.

We are looking into a friend who's dad possibly has a freight account. Should know some pricing tomorrow. Hopefully it's more economical that way.

I am currently in this same situation at the moment. I have a finished pit sitting at Paul's shop, and I can't find reasonable shipping. I live in nor cal and have had my ad in Uship for almost eight days and only got two offers. One bid was for 2500 and the other is for 1000. The guy that bidded 1000 has no feedback, so I am suspicious. I've contacted freight brokers and they will not pick up unless it's on a pallet. I'm currently going back and forth with Thomas at Craters and Freighters, but it is not easy to get a hold of him. Thomas does not return emails and you are lucky if he answers the phone. I am almost bald from pulling my hair out. On a brighter note, at least Paul is patient about me getting that rig out of there. I hope this helps.

I am currently in this same situation at the moment. I have a finished pit sitting at Paul's shop, and I can't find reasonable shipping. I live in nor cal and have had my ad in Uship for almost eight days and only got two offers. One bid was for 2500 and the other is for 1000. The guy that bidded 1000 has no feedback, so I am suspicious. I've contacted freight brokers and they will not pick up unless it's on a pallet. I'm currently going back and forth with Thomas at Craters and Freighters, but it is not easy to get a hold of him. Thomas does not return emails and you are lucky if he answers the phone. I am almost bald from pulling my hair out. On a brighter note, at least Paul is patient about me getting that rig out of there. I hope this helps.

Paul has a guy that will crate it for $. I did u ship and R&L quote was $950 but I said it was crated. I actually found a friend in town that owns a company and can hopefully get me a better price as suggested above. Hopefully you find someone. :-D

Paul has a guy that will crate it for $. I did u ship and R&L quote was $950 but I said it was crated. I actually found a friend in town that owns a company and can hopefully get me a better price as suggested above. Hopefully you find someone. :-D

Will R&L ship uncrated?

How big is your smoker. I spoke with Thomas, but his quote was the 1550. He told me that the freight was running 700. I think Thomas is a little gun shy about these smokers and is bidding it a little high or I got lucky at 850. I was really close to jumping in the truck and driving out to meet Paul and the family. It was the inability to secure the smoker for the one night I would need to sleep.

Back