• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Question about UDS Build

W

worknomore

I am making a basket and am running short on height. Is 24 inches between the coal grate and the cooking great a necessity or could I get away with 22". What would happen by having it closer? Thanks

The 24" number has been thrown out there in the master UDS thread. It is indeed nominal. By reducing this dimension, your product would be closer and receive a bit higher cook temperature. Set your thermo. at the grate height and make adjustments as needed. I've got a UDS that rides just over 20" and it is fine.

Just my .02, but you'll be fine.

Yes it can be closer. Its more of a suggestion that an rule to be 22-24" from the bottom of the coal basket to the grate.

Here is a math problem based on my main UDS:

The drum is 34" tall with a Weber lid on top. My top rack is 2" down from the top and the bottom rack is 6" down from that. My charcoal basket sits 2" above a pizza pan that acts as a ash tray. The sides of the basket are 12" tall. So, if the basket is full of charcoal, how close is the charcoal to the bottom rack?

Answer: 12"

My basket is rarely full as that is more charcoal than any burn would ever need. The point is that even though I do have the 24" from the bottom of the basket to the first grate, the fire is most often much closer.

Mine are on two rack 55gal. models - each rack 7 3/4" from top and 7 3/4" lower than upper one. then one half " to top of Water Pan, then Smoker Plate. then firebox 2" lower. Works fine. Steve.

Back