Chicken rub similar to Plowboy's Yardbird.

Dougan'sTribe

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am trying to make my chicken cooks better and have been going backyards and not forwards. I am not trying to steal recipes as I know that its a commercial rub and they have worked very hard on their product. I do like to create my own rubs though. Do you guys have chicken rub receipts similar to Yardbirds? I understand that rubs are very unique to the creators and some don't like to share. I have a comp. coming up in October and so far, if it was tomorrow I would probably finish dead last. Thanks for your help.

My recipe for Yardbird is I go to my local Bass Pro Shop and buy a few bottles of Yardbird.
Why try to replicate something that is already perfected and can be easily obtained?

I don't want to use a commercial rub for a competition. I want to try to be authenticate as possible. I don't want to use Yardbirds exactly, but just trying to get a good solid start.

Sorry I don't know of a clone either, I picked up a 5lbs bag of it, just wish i had my old empty shaker so i could refill it. :(

It's not Yardbird, but here is one I like.

Greek Seasoning Blend

Ingredients:

2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon basil
1 tsp sage
1 tsp oregano
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon dill
1 teaspoon marjoram
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1 teaspoon rosemary
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Directions:

Combine all ingredients in blender, or use a mortar and pestle, grind to a fine powder, and store in an airtight container.

I don't want to use a commercial rub for a competition. I want to try to be authenticate as possible. I don't want to use Yardbirds exactly, but just trying to get a good solid start.

I hope not to come off as a douche... But you don't want to use a commercial rub for a comp, so you can be authentic, but you are asking people to give you their personal rub recipe to use in the comp? Not sure I understand your definition of "Authentic". I would think "authentic" would be an adjective to describe a personal rub you created? or one that has a flavor profile historically known in the region.

As far as a good starting place I would check out the ingredients posted on the rub container and start playing with quantities, most ingredients are listed in order of amounts ie largest amount is first ingredient. yada yadda yadda...

again, hope not to have offened anyone.

My opinion - if you like Yardbirds go buy it and use it in your competition. While I don't like the idea of using commercial rubs and sauces we are doing it in the beginning b/c it somewhat removes a couple variables out of the equation. This lets us focus on the variables we have total control over (cooking the meats) and not have to worry about something else. At some point when we have those items under control we will look to make our own rubs and sauces that are inspired by existing commercial products but why make it more difficult on yourself when just starting out?

I hope not to come off as a douche... But you don't want to use a commercial rub for a comp, so you can be authentic, but you are asking people to give you their personal rub recipe to use in the comp? Not sure I understand your definition of "Authentic". I would think "authentic" would be an adjective to describe a personal rub you created? or one that has a flavor profile historically known in the region.

As far as a good starting place I would check out the ingredients posted on the rub container and start playing with quantities, most ingredients are listed in order of amounts ie largest amount is first ingredient. yada yadda yadda...

again, hope not to have offened anyone.

To be honest I haven't even tasted Yardbirds. When I searched this website for chicken rubs I noticed a lot of post referencing it and wanted to try to make and taste something similar. I wanted my first taste of something similar to Yardbirds to be something I created and then go and taste it. That's all. Aren't all rubs variations of someone else's anyway? Who was the first person to use salt and pepper? Maybe authentic wasn't the right word. Anyways, thanks for the help.

Look at other rubs and pick the spices you like,I use very little salt,and add and subtract the ones you want.Just work from there.:roll:

I like PBYB as well, but try this one. It's what I use on chicken and basically everything else as well as a base layer. I won't give you the measurements for each, so you can experiment yourself and call it your own. Yeah it's simple, but simple works.

Med grind Kosher/Sea Salt
Med grind black pepper
granulated garlic
granulated onion powder
paprika
dried parsley flakes
ground cumin
cayenne pepper - optional if you do not want any heat

Good luck on your next cook.

Just take yardbird and add stuff to it to make it better or at least unique and your very own.

I wouldn't know Yardbird from ButtGlitter I don't but rubs or sauces.

I do use this rub I like it and so does any one that has ever had my chicken

BBQ Chicken Rub

Morton salt Co

Ingredients
4 Tbsp Morton ® Kosher Salt
1 Tbsp Ground Black Pepper
1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
3 Tbsp Paprika
1 Tbsp Chili Powder
Directions MIX all ingredients in a bowl.
RUB seasoning onto meat, 2-3 Tablespoons per pound of chicken or as desired.
BAKE, BROIL or GRILL as preferred.
STORE remaining rub mixture in airtight container.

Back