Too big or not

bbqking225

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Is there a such thing as too big for a reverse flow smoker. I'm thinking about making a smoker out of a 100 gallon propane tank. It measures 16 feet long and 41 inches in diameter.
Looking for build ideas.

what the hell you gonna cook, post pics please

That is definitely bigger than 100 gallons... Think I would go traditional flow as you are asking the smoke/flow to go a long long way in RF.

too big or not

That is definitely bigger than 100 gallons... Think I would go traditional flow as you are asking the smoke/flow to go a long long way in RF.

What's a zero among friends? Sounds like 1000 gallons to me- and that would be a whopper. Sounds like the "go big or go home" crowd has a new member :eusa_clap

A 16ft long reverse flow? I'm sure it CAN be done, but I start to think that your smoke would need to travel 32 ft to escape from the time it's produced in the firebox, I think it would cool and condense before it reaches that point....but maybe I'm wrong, I haven't messed with anything that big. It's not 100 gallons if it's 16 ft long though. It's a 1000, must be a typo.

I like MikeMCI's idea more than a reverse flow here. Shortening up that smoke travel distance is a good idea in general.

I'm saving my shekels for a 1000 gallon smoker. Aaron Franklin and John Lewis both own multiple 1000's and they are direct flow.
You need to consider if you have enough room to store it and your truck has enough ponies to pull them (if you're putting it on a trailer). Other than that.....to me a 1000' is the perfect size.....:mrgreen::mrgreen:

I'm saving my shekels for a 1000 gallon smoker. Aaron Franklin and John Lewis both own multiple 1000's and they are direct flow.
You need to consider if you have enough room to store it and your truck has enough ponies to pull them (if you're putting it on a trailer). Other than that.....to me a 1000' is the perfect size.....:mrgreen::mrgreen:

How do you go from a UDS to a 1000 gallon?

That's like making the transition from an AMC Pacer to a Mack Pinnacle. :mrgreen:

You may have a hard time making it draft as a reverse flow.

There was a ~1900 gallon tank for sale locally here a while ago...

Was tempted, but in reality would never need anything that big and all the logistic nightmares...

I was looking for a 1000 gallon when I got my 600 gallon tank.. I have yet to have my 600 gallon full.. if I had to estimate how many butts I could cook.. I would bet abt 145 or so..Ended up weighing well over 9000 pounds.. but it cooks great! I no longer have plans for a 1000 gallon smoker..

Attachments

• 66 (3).jpg
    66 (3).jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 118
Cut it in half and make a dual smoker like the Langs.
Always nice to have room to spread out.

Back