Cooked a couple of Full Spares

KevinJ

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Usually I will cut Full Spares into a St Louis Cut and Rib Tips, pull the Rib Tip meat and use it for other cooks, I probably have a good 4lbs of Tip meat in the freezer so I decided to cook Full Spares. I did remove the flap and pulled the membrane. Used yellow mustard to help the rub stick and used Eat Barbecue Zero to Hero rub (good stuff).

I always cook Ribs dry without wrapping or glazing but decided to change things up, my wife likes sauce on her Ribs and I haven't wrapped in a year or so. Keeping with the change things up theme, these were hung in a WSM 18.5" directly over coals with Cherry Chunks for smoke for 2.5 hours.

Wrapped the slabs in foil, one slab was glazed with Blues Hog Tennessee Red before wrapping, the other rack was glazed with Texas Pepper Jelly, Rib Candy Original, Apple, Cherry, Habanero. Put them in the oven at 300 for an hour and they were done. Reglazed one rack with Blues Hog Original and the second rack was glazed again with the Rib Candy, back in the oven for ten minutes to help the glaze set.

Spares Glazed with Blues Hog

IMG_0627_zpshw3kcrbz.jpg

Brother, that is some mighty fine looking grub.

I haven't messed with glazing too much (except for the odd Cheerwine glaze, thanks to NCGrimbo, last year)... but you're making me want to give it another try with the Pr0n above.

Looks fantastic, Kevin! Love the smoked mac and cheese too. Well done Sir!

If I had my druthers it would only be full spares around here. Nice cook.

Hell Yea!!! Good Job.

That's a real nice cook! I haven't done full spares in years.

All looks great especially the rib candy... Thanks for sharing.

Back