best rubs

joeraz007

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Looking for everyone's opinion on your favorite rubs for bbq comps. Mine are anything oakridge they seem to be top quality and offer a great flavor profile. So here we go what are your favorites

Without question it's Sucklebusters SPG, it goes on about everything and is a base rub even if I want something sweet over it. 90% of the time though it's the only thing that goes on the meat.

If you're talking about competition rubs this would be better suited for the "Competition BBQ" part of the forum. The audience there will have different answers than Q-Talk

Without question it's Sucklebusters SPG, it goes on about everything and is a base rub even if I want something sweet over it. 90% of the time though it's the only thing that goes on the meat.
I have never tried sucklebuster but I have heard great things I will have to give them a go. Thanks for the info

Rubs that I have tried and enjoyed

Oakridge
Black Ops - on beef layered with some salt and pepper.

Simply Marvelous
Pecan Rub - goes well on everything
Sweet Seduction - Layered with Cherry Rub on ribs is the bee's knees
Cherry Rub - Goes well on pork
Peppered Cow - Anything beef can use this.

Plowboys
Yardbird - Goes well on pork and chick. Watch out when putting on the smaller cuts of meat (chicken or ribs), it is salty. A pork butt can't get enough of this on it.

3eyz
Pork - This rub goes great on anything pork or chicken.

West Coast Offense. It's bringing me the "money" this year.

There are so many....
My family likes sweet, where I prefer more heat.

Family favorites;
Oakridge Dominator Sweet rub
Cimarron Docs Sweet rub
Killer Hogs BBQ rub

My favorites;
Smoking Guns Hot

Other favorites

Beef;
Black Ops
Bovine Bold

chicken;
Plowboys Yardbird
Harry Soo's Jailbird chicken

Wings;
Mad Hunky Hot A$$ Whang rub

My personal favorites are...
3 Eyz
MAK Grills Chipotle
Kosmo's Dirty Bird Hot
BPS Double Secret Steak
SM Pecan
For competition we now use our own rubs exclusively...:cool:

One only needs to bring 2 rubs to a contest and if used properly can easily get calls in each category and take home a GC. Those 2 rubs have already been mentioned. Nailing tenderness matters most.

I choose my rubs according to what sauces I am using. Different rubs can either enhance a sauce or create an undesireable product. I try different combinations and pick those that enhance's the finished product.

One only needs to bring 2 rubs to a contest and if used properly can easily get calls in each category and take home a GC. Those 2 rubs have already been mentioned. Nailing tenderness matters most.
Which rubs are those

true! flavor follows tenderness, but... i still want to know what those two rubs are!

I guess I thought it was more common knowledge than it really is?

Back