Hello From Aichi, Japan!

cooterinjapan

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Greeting and salutations!

Came to this island in 2002. Used to reside in New Mexico, but grew-up in Shreveport, LA. So, I like a few styles of bbq.
I have been bitten by the barbeque bug in a land which is not that hospitable to the American BBQ Way of life. Therefore I am determined to do my part! I usually do chicken wings on my Weber and use kingsford charcoal. I know what you are thinking, "you've got the rolls royce of charcoal and you don't use it." Honestly, I have only seen that Japanese charcoal (good stuff) on amazon. I might try it down the road.
I should probably add something about smoking since I tend to try that when bbqing wings. On my wings, breasts or small chickens I brine and
typically, use Japanese Cherry or American Mesquite.
Have some beechnut, apple, and Japanese Oak that are waiting future bbq wing endeavors.

I look forward to meeting you all, and would be happy to answer any questions about Japan if so desired.

Welcome to the forum Cooter, glad to have you join us and hopefully take part in the other forums.

We don't have a lot of rules here other than spam and advertising are NOT permitted, the rest is just common sense, courtesy, and mutual respect for one another. You'll soon find the Brethren are not a bunch of "know it-all's" who think their way is the only way. Even the seasoned users are open to suggestions, changes, and many will try new recipes and methods from time to time, which provide us with surprising results.

I recall my first visit to the Brethren, for months I was afraid to post and ask questions, even though I had experience under my belt. You'll find a great group of people here with a willingness to help and guide you, regardless of of how simple or how complicated you think your question may be. You'll also find that there are many ways to achieve great food, there is no single "cookie cutter" method as some have been conditioned to think. You'll just have to try a few different methods and soon you'll master the way that works best for you.

We'll be here to guide you and answer your questions as you begin your journey into smoking and BBQ. Pretty soon you'll go from asking questions to posting pictures of your progress, and we will all share in your experience as true Brethren.

We have many different forums here.... Below are just a few of them.

For discussion on BBQ/Smoking related topics, we have the "Q-Talk" Forum. This is a good starting point for all new Brethren.

For those who are interested in competing, We have a "Competition BBQ" forum.

We also have a "Catering, Food Handling and Awareness" and "Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses".

We also have a trading forum where members can trade sauces and rubs available from different areas around our country.

For general non BBQ related talk we also have "The Wood Pile" forum.

I hope to see you in the "Q-Talk" forum soon. You'll find help on almost every topic from cooking your first Pork Butt to curing and smoking your own ham and bacon.

If you can't find the topic you need help with, or have questions about a specific topic, just start a new thread in the related forum.

There are many members with years of experience that are willing to answer your questions and share their knowledge to guide you in the right direction. Collectively there is a wealth of experience and knowledge among the membership, including you. Don't be afraid to jump in there and share your knowledge and your experiences as well.

I've seen threads on people using Japanese White Charcoal.

Welcome to the Brethren!! There is a wealth of knowledge and experience amung the members. If you have a BBQ or cooking related obsession or hobby this is the place to be. Sit back, soak up the knowledge and jump in there and be sure to share yours as well. If you can't find or get an answer to the question here then there is probably not an answer available.

Welcome, come on in, take your shoes off and sit a spell.

Welcome from a Sistren in Ontario, Canada! A good way to increase your cooking knowledge and repertoire is to enter the Throwdowns. It's a section of the forum we post threads of our cooks with photos and description of what we're doing, then we vote on them! I joined this forum with almost no BBQ experience and within a year of entering Throwdowns, I could cook many different kinds of delicious food. Use the link in my signature to get there, it starts with "Inspiration, boisterous merriment….."

Greeting and salutations!

Came to this island in 2002. Used to reside in New Mexico, but grew-up in Shreveport, LA. So, I like a few styles of bbq.
I have been bitten by the barbeque bug in a land which is not that hospitable to the American BBQ Way of life. Therefore I am determined to do my part! I usually do chicken wings on my Weber and use kingsford charcoal. I know what you are thinking, "you've got the rolls royce of charcoal and you don't use it." Honestly, I have only seen that Japanese charcoal (good stuff) on amazon. I might try it down the road.
I should probably add something about smoking since I tend to try that when bbqing wings. On my wings, breasts or small chickens I brine and
typically, use Japanese Cherry or American Mesquite.
Have some beechnut, apple, and Japanese Oak that are waiting future bbq wing endeavors.

I look forward to meeting you all, and would be happy to answer any questions about Japan if so desired.
Welcome to the Brethren, you're gonna love it here I have learned so much from these guys here. :thumb:

Welcome! I'd be interested in hearing how BBQ can be adapted to traditional Japanese cooking methods and ingredients.

BKish 25, Wow, I would say there are about three kinds of food in Japan: Traditional, Actual, and Robatayaki (grilled) Fusion. I'm no expert on Traditional, but I would wager things like seafood could be done in a bbq way. However, Japanese cooking (according to some book I read based on Pub Food)
is about deleting tastes/smells i.e. undesirable stink of fish, bitterness of some other thing.
Sashimi, sushi and kaiseki (traditional multi-course meals) could be done with a little grilling.
However, the approach would have to be very simple in the taste department.

Functional food is like what my wife makes. It can be traditional (miso soup, white rice) but also has other elements of curry, Chinese Broths, Western-style
(I use this loosely) like omelet rice [think of an omelet with rice inside and ketchup on top of the egg]. Smoked octopus then added to make takoyaki.
Pizza flavored potstickers?
Functional foods could be done by smoking an aspect of meat/fish/tofu? and then combining back with base.

Robatayaki(grilled)/Fusion Food: Makes me think of chicken wings and bacon-wrapped mochi. I don't know how much you can grill rice.
Although I have seen grilled rice balls. Yakitori (chicken skewers) also falls in this category.
Things I have thought of/tried: miso pulled pork, mochi-wrapped bacon (try this with bourbon/smoked bacon) yakitori (chicken skewers) that is smoked.
New flavors besides the standard sauce or s&p.

I'm sorry if that doesn't answer your question. The one thing I can leave you with is:
sugar, mirin, miso, salt, rice wine vinegar, fish flakes. They are the basis for most Japanese cooking.
If you have more specifics, I will do my best. Hope this helps.

Sorry hoss, my best answer at 07:00.

Last edited:
Back