Why the Pit Barrel Cooker Works

Bob C Cue

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Ran across this review on Amazon of the PBC that helps explain why it cooks such great food. Some of the features apply to a UDS and other smokers, but combined they seem to make for one of the best and simplest smokers around. Thoughts anyone?

I've owned the PBC for about 8 months and am thoroughly impressed with how well it cooks, how quickly it cooks, and how simple it is to use. Here is why I think the PBC is just different than anything else out there:
1) Meat hangs vertically
a. Surface crisps/crusts/barks more evenly and interior meat heats more evenly as there are no hot conduction points caused by meat lying on a grate
b. Meat is basted by juices that are sweat out of the meat. These juices have to flow down the meat and naturally baste it. Because the meat is vertical, the juice has more distance to travel before dropping off the meat and hence vertical does a better job of basting.
2) Burnt offerings
a. The juices that drop off of the meat and onto the coals provide smoke and flavor... a LOT of smoke and flavor
3) Cooker temp starts at 400 then dies down below to 300 within a half hour and then to 250 to 290 within 60 to 80 minutes (typical)
a. This initial high heat flash evaporates liquid on and in the surface of the meat. This causes any skin on the meat to crisp and skinless meat to form bark. This may reduce the amount of stall time the meat experiences if not crutched due to reduction in surface moisture.
b. It caramelizes rubs with sugar... but!... the PBC doesn't stay hot enough long enough to burn the sugar in the rub.. The PBC likes its caramel brown, not black=)
4) Cooker is made of thin uninsulated metal
a. The outside air interacting with the drum causes the drum metal to be cooler than the air inside the drum. Guess what? Air in the drum that contacts the interior metal surface is cooled... causing condensation! The liquid water then evaporates again inside the drum as it builds up on the surface of the drum, becomes an insulator, and heats up... This basically "builds up" moisture in the drum over time (Think of the glass door of a sauna / steam room and how water condensates on them as an example). This condensation in my opinion is the #1 reason the cooker stays so humid and the PBC does not need or benefit from a water pan.
5) Cooker is a 30 gallon drum with 4 airflow exit holes close to evenly distributed around the drum upper edge... and the lid seals air tight
a. The PBC is the perfect height and width and the holes for exit airflow are spaced on either side of the PBC in such a way that air heated at the bottom convects to the top with little turbulence. This practically eliminates any coldspot draft effect and causes even airflow throughout the drum, causing even heating / cooking.
You might see one or more of these features in other grills and smokers, but you won't find ALL of them. This is why the PBC is awesome.

Here is the actual review: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A6Q8883L100T9/ref=pdp_new_read_full_review_link?ie=UTF8&page=1&sort_by=MostRecentReview#R2PADNO46MCQAV"]Amazon.com: Profile For darwin: Reviews@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41OsRQ9PTXL.@@AMEPARAM@@41OsRQ9PTXL[/ame]

Interesting review you found. I had written a long detailed review about my opinion of the PBC after cooking on it and was gonna post it, but unfortunately for some reason when I hit the "submit" button I was logged out and lost the entire thing. It took an hour to write it all and I was too annoyed to rewrite it again.
One thing I wrote that I will say here. I'm sure someone can and has built a UDS or maybe even a replica of a PBC. And I'm sure it was done cheaper than $300. But, the targeted customer is NOT YOU if you have done this or have the ability to. This is built for those who want to open a box and within 10 minutes be on their way to cooking. Or it is for the person (like myself ) who either doesn't have the time or proper tools to build one. I think it's been proven that it's not the cooker it's the cook anyway. The PBC just makes it easier for some. It's also been proven to work with outstanding results for people who already know how to make great food. One of our Brethren, Patio Daddio, won the 2013 Pig Gig III Rib Champion and overall Grand Champion using nothing buy 2 PBC's http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/2013/09/finally.html?m=1
I think that speaks for itself! If you are wanting a Pit Barrel Cooker, I say go for it! You won't regret it and $300 really isn't overly expensive for a product that has more than a proven track record.

I remember reading this particular review before getting my PBC, and it definitely makes logical sense. As for the science to back it up, I'm not qualified and will certainly defer to others in the know.

They forgot to mention they are a made in the U.S. Company that stands by their products. That is also rare these days. I was very close to buying one this year.

Don't buy the whole liquid forming insulation bs....(4a)
Could give you my thoughts on THAT but am on a tablet, would take a few hours to hunt & peck it out...

BS who's the rocket scientist who wrote that and where did it publish in a peer reviewed scientific journal. Opinion and speculation at best. Oh wait it's on the interwebs, it must be true. It's an mini-UDS... That's it. And my rebuild 2.0 with a free drum and sprung $30 for new cooking grates is a steal with more cooking area.

BS who's the rocket scientist who wrote that and where did it publish in a peer reviewed scientific journal. Opinion and speculation at best. Oh wait it's on the interwebs, it must be true. It's an mini-UDS... That's it. And my rebuild 2.0 with a free drum and sprung $30 for new cooking grates is a steal with more cooking area.

Thanks. Figured this might bring out the haters. Will be looking for more on your build in Scientific American.

Good for you! Now what about the millions of other people who don't have the ability, don't have the tools, and don't wanna waste their time building a smoker? Time is money (at least to some people) and some just wanna open a box and cook. For all those people the PBC is a great cooker..... And to add to what decoy said, the owner is also a veteran. More of a reason to wish him success!

Good for you! Now what about the millions of other people who don't have the ability, don't have the tools, and don't wanna waste their time building a smoker? Time is money (at least to some people) and some just wanna open a box and cook. For all those people the PBC is a great cooker..... And to add to what decoy said, the owner is also a veteran. More of a reason to wish him success!

BAM!!! Well said.

My time is worth way more than $300.

No hating on my part. The moisture on the inside MAY be the result of heat on one side and cold on the other, causing condensation. Very similar to having a metal roof on a building with batt insulation under it, no OSB or felt. The building we are living in as described above...and it was damn near raining in here until we had OSB/felt put under the metal...that being said believe whatever you want. But you might want to Google metal roofs condensating before saying I am a hater....or clueless. If I read right the "cooker" in question is only a 30 gallon drum, correct if so I seen a kit at a local home improvement store for the very same thing, can included, for $99.

No hating on my part. The moisture on the inside MAY be the result of heat on one side and cold on the other, causing condensation. Very similar to having a metal roof on a building with batt insulation under it, no OSB or felt. The building we are living in as described above...and it was damn near raining in here until we had OSB/felt put under the metal...that being said believe whatever you want. But you might want to Google metal roofs condensating before saying I am a hater....or clueless. If I read right the "cooker" in question is only a 30 gallon drum, correct if so I seen a kit at a local home improvement store for the very same thing, can included, for $99.

I never said your were clueless, but I do get tired of people who have never used a PBC boasting that they can build one much cheaper, that the PBC is just like any other UDS, etc.

I admit I am not a scientist, nor do I play one on TV, but AmazingRibs Science Advisor Dr. Greg Blonder, who has a physics BS from MIT and a physics PhD from Harvard, is quite impressed with the PBC as well:

"Hanging the meat vertically reduces the radiative heating contribution significantly. For the same reason turning your face away from the sun is cooling, or holding your palm perpendicular to the grill doesn't feel so hot. Plus, dripping juices radiatively cool the bottom of the meat. All that being said, I'm still surprised it was that uniform."….

Once again we ran this by Dr. Blonder, asking if there is any reason the smaller drum would be superior. "Absolutely makes sense." he replied, "The reason the Pit Barrel works is simple, heat rises. So you have a hot fire at the bottom, and hot air that rises to the top; which basically evens out the temperature profile to more or less constant top to bottom. Hang the meat vertically so the hot air is not blocked, and it's the perfect oven - unless there are convection cells that mess up this even profile. Imagine a really wide cooker. Hot air would rise, bump into the cooler lid, cool off and sink, forming a rotating convection cell that lowers air temp at the lid and creates unpredictable turbulence. But as you narrow the diameter of the cooker, it becomes harder and harder for air to make the turn and descend. Sounds like 30 gallons is the dividing line between stable and unstable flow."

For more from Amazing Ribs you can go to: http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/smoker-pizza-oven/pit-barrel-cooker

Thanks. Figured this might bring out the haters. Will be looking for more on your build in Scientific American.

Didn't bring the hate just the suido science of how it's better or cooks better than anything else or a UDS. Put lip stick on a pig it's still a pig. Hang meat in a PBC it's still a UDS mini cause thier to cheap to ship a 55 gallon drum. Don't need to publish on an established cooker that is coming up to temp as I type.

It's the opinion on the science of why it's better than a UDS design that has been around since 55 gallon drums existed. discussion of BBQ at the butcher on thus, yeah I cooked on drums in the 80's.

Good for you for supporting a made in USA product. I approve 100%. Just don't claim it's one step up from any UDS from the 700 page thread because it's still a pig, only smaller.

Didn't bring the hate just the suido science of how it's better or cooks better than anything else or a UDS. Put lip stick on a pig it's still a pig. Hang meat in a PBC it's still a UDS mini cause thier to cheap to ship a 55 gallon drum. Don't need to publish on an established cooker that is coming up to temp as I type.

It's the opinion on the science of why it's better than a UDS design that has been around since 55 gallon drums existed. discussion of BBQ at the butcher on thus, yeah I cooked on drums in the 80's.

Good for you for supporting a made in USA product. I approve 100%. Just don't claim it's one step up from any UDS from the 700 page thread because it's still a pig, only smaller.

I have talked to Noah many times. He said he started out with a 55 gallon drum but went through many prototypes before he settled on 30 gallons as it worked the best. He failed to tell me he was too cheap to ship a 55 gallon drum. I will call him immediately and demand my money back. I will then contact Dr. Blonder and tell him also that his theory that the 30 gallon drum allows for the best air flow is bad science and that the decision was based strictly on economics.

I have talked to Noah many times. He said he started out with a 55 gallon drum but went through many prototypes before he settled on 30 gallons as it worked the best. He failed to tell me he was too cheap to ship a 55 gallon drum. I will call him immediately and demand my money back. I will then contact Dr. Blonder and tell him also that his theory that the 30 gallon drum allows for the best air flow is bad science and that the decision was based strictly on economics.

To add Noah is a stand up guy and IF and I say IF this is the only way for me to repay him for the service to our country even if the PBC sucked,so be it.

I feel just terrible for that horse...poor poor guy.

Hey all these cookers have different attributes and everyone wants to be proud of the cooker they bought and use so we should all be respectful to that.

And I thank you for your service too. :-D Now hurry up and make a cooker dammit.

Back