Hunting Hog

pom

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Living in England unfortunately this isnt an option for me, for you lucky colonials how do you find the taste and texture compared to farm hog ?

Are the cuts the same, for example the ones ive seen shot on youtube dont look big or fat enough for bacon, just the legs/feet cuts.

Pom

Have only shot (and smoked) small ones (less than 75 lbers) and find not a lot of difference, just leaner meat. Have always field dressed them quickly and got them on ice and brines them a couple of days before cooking so no "gamey" taste noted.

Leaner meat is an understatement. Store bought pork is very forgiving. My first experience with a small boar was an exercise in whole pig jerky despite low n slow.

Well ya bloody Red Coat I'll tell ya, Pigs is pigs. Small ones I shoot on sight and they go to the pit lean and tasty. Bigger ones get trapped males get castrated Then they are grained out for a few weeks prior to slaughter taste is the same as store bought.

I never treat feral hogs like domestic pig. They spend there time running around the coastal mountains here and are to lean and tuff. I use them for carnitas, stews, and grind them up with domestic fat.

The picture below is a buddy at the hunting cabin a couple weeks ago.
ArtiPig_zps6lpu1bwy.jpg

340 Lbs. The largest I ever harvested there is about 200 Lbs.
Maybe this year I hope.

Very lean animal (like all wild animals). The ultimate free food around here. I don't know why some hunters are wrapped up in deer. Hunting is hunting, sometimes you get a hog, sometimes a deer, etc.

They make great sausage.

Bludawg - I used to do the same thing with big cats (fish) we would catch them on a trot line 30-40 lbers and put them in a 50 gallon plastic barrel with holes in it and keep them in the water attached to the dock for a week or so. They lived off their fat and were as tasty as a small cat after a week or so.

Im jealous!

So hug hunting is it season based ? Permits needed or you can take all you find ?

In some places it's take all you can get as they are considered nuisance animals there. It varies state to state. Like here in NC there are(I think) 6 counties that have a limit of two per season whereas the other 94 counties have no such limits except what weapon that can be used and whether or not you can use dogs, but the weapon and dog restrictions are there mainly to protect other animals as some a-hole hunters would hunt outside the season for other animals and if caught(before having any evidence) would just say they were hog hunting to avoid sanctions.

Im jealous!

So hug hunting is it season based ? Permits needed or you can take all you find ?
Not In Texas they are as thick as fleas on a hound, and considered as Varmits. Some times they have a bounty on 'em 5.00 a tail.

Reasonable 80,000 & up. No but there are plenty of gun shops:grin:

I only shot one but it was 700lbs. Yes it was leaner. Made great sausage and bacon. The bacon was very lean. Cooked on a kett;e with a little DD maple syurp and some HDD makes a great pig candy stick!

Some of the roast was a little tough so after smoking hit the pressure cooker for a little bit and as tender as you like. Hams were not gamey but were dense.

Back