Beef Ribs Timing

HarrynVegas

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm smoking a four pound plate of beef ribs today with some other stuff. I'm running 250-300. I know they are done when the probe like butter but how long do you think this will take?

I've only done beef ribs once, so I may be way off. However, I would venture to say about 4-5 hours naked, subtract an hour or so, if wrapping in foil or butcher paper.

Good luck, I'm sure they'll turn out amazing.

Matt

I usually budget for about 5 hours. I never wrap or foil them.
This goes for me also. Salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder rub. @250-300 deg for 5 hours, no peeking. Test with a toothpick.

Last edited:
I usually budget for about 5 hours. I never wrap or foil them.

I agree with the no foil. I've made many beef ribs (my personal favorite) and I have found when you foil beef ribs the bark gets ruined in no time. They are done when the fat 'layer' between the beef is dissolved. If it's pasty colored it's not done.
Dino ribs are truly wonderful. :thumb:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 114
I agree with the no foil. I've made many beef ribs (my personal favorite) and I have found when you foil beef ribs the bark gets ruined in no time. They are done when the fat 'layer' between the beef is dissolved. If it's pasty colored it's not done.
Dino ribs are truly wonderful. :thumb:

That has the bark of a mean old dog! Tasty.

Only go for a max of a few hours...meaning 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 and has never done me wrong BUT it depends on the cooker and type of heat. Example would be UDS might cook faster than WSM going same temp.

Yes, it does depend a bit on the cooker...good thought....

Melissa's right on there....right at the point where the fat's finished......these ones weren't quite there....almost....

LateMayAsstd110.jpg

the bark I really liked...SPG & UN-Sweetened cocoa powder.....really good & not sweet at all......

Not quite 5 hrs, banked, kettle, 260~275f no wrap...........

Back