At what price would you buy a Thermapen?

I would climb every mountain and swim every stream with my $100 for my Super fast LSU Purple Thermapen. It's improved my skills 100 fold. I've saved scads O' $$$ on meat by knowing what's going on inside and when to pull it.

I remember when we served the public for the pb&j cook. Had to deal with the health inspector. He wanted to see temps above 165. The man could have shut the whole thing down. Best not to keep him waiting even for an extra second.

Bought one for $80 5 years ago. Thing stopped working a few weeks ago. Changed the battery and still didn't work. Called thermo works and they said to send jet in. Got a call the other day that they will fix it for $25. Which means basically a new one for $25. So original investment of 80 plus 5 for return shipping plus 25 = 110 for two so about 55 a piece. If I get another 5 years, well worth the money.

Paid $79 for mine, bought two for work at that price and I have no regrets. A great thermometer for the money

Cooked some big thick loin steaks this evening. Thankfully I had my handy $27 Thermowand so I knew excactly when they were cooked to perfection.
As usual fast, accurate and worth every cent.

My experience with my Thermowand I bought for around $25 has been excellent. It may not be quite as fast (but within a second) as the Thermopen, but the accuracy is right there with it. It is durable and easy to read, and the size/length is sufficient for my uses.

So, to answer your original question, it would have to be around the same price range as it is just a tool to help me cook, and is not an absolute necessity like a smoker or grill or fuel for them.

Omar

I agree..^^^^ Omar has it right!:thumb:

I know I'm not the only Brethren who balks at pulling the trigger during a $74 open box sale, let alone paying the full $96.

Would you buy at $69?...$62.50?...$59?...????

I'd pay full price if something happened to my current one.

And I'd pay for expedited shipping.

Bought the Thermowand clone at amazon for about $25. Works very well. Spent the $75 I saved on meat... ;-)

Bought the Thermowand clone at amazon for about $25. Works very well. Spent the $75 I saved on meat... ;-)

I just bought one of those and I am impressed so far. The only thing I don't like about it is that the probe is kind of short, I don't know about using it on a big turkey

I really don't use my thermapen very often for taking temperatures on the bbq meats. I do use it on chicken and items that need to come off at certain temps (ie pork loins, tri tips, etc)

What I will say the thermapen isn't just about speed, but build quality. It is build to withstand rough handling unlike a lot of other digital instant read thermometers. The speed is a given wth thermapens also.

When you have to temp a bunch of chicken pieces for competition or food service, the thermapen will save you quite a bit of time. The 2 competitions I have done, I was glad to be able to temp out 18+ pieces of chicken quickly, vs having to use an analog bi-metal meat thermo.

I highly recommend it for bbq competition cooks or food service professional that has to take temperatures of many things. It will save quite a bit of time and the build quality will allow you to be rougher with it, than other instant read thermos.

Home cooks don't really need it. It is a nice keeping up with the jones' item but you can save yourself some money and get a different instant read.

It is debatable if I would pay 100+ for a thermapen. I would pay the open box price without any issue.

Bought one at full price the other day and arrived today. Tested ice and boiling water, blown away by the speed. I'm going to love using this new tool.

They make slightly slower models for less than $20. I see no reason to go higher

Back