Please help check my meat math!

harleykids

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am in charge of bringing the meat to an 6pm evening party for 40 people, half women, half men. No kids.

Doing three meats: pulled pork, beef brisket point (cubed), and bone-in chicken thighs.

I am thinking two 8lb butts, two 6lb brisket points, and 24 chicken thighs.

There will of course be the normal mix of sides like potato salad, coleslaw, etc.

Just checking to see if my meat math looks correct?

Thanks!
Jason

2 8 lb butts will yield 24 1/3 pound servings or 32 1/4 pound servings. 2 6 pound points will do 18 or 24 servings, and the thighs will do 24 (obviously). As long as you don't expect everyone to have some of everything, I think you'll be Ok. You could always get slightly bigger butts to cover yourself.

Thanks cpw, appreciate the reply.

I am sure there will be some "only chicken" eaters, as well as some only meat eaters.
So I figure it should be enough for everyone to get what they want.

I guess I can always get another dozen checken thighs?

Thanks cpw, appreciate the reply.

I am sure there will be some "only chicken" eaters, as well as some only meat eaters.
So I figure it should be enough for everyone to get what they want.

I guess I can always get another dozen checken thighs?

Or, add another butt/briskie and have some leftovers to take home for your next lunch. :biggrin1:

My experience is that you cannot rely on "only chicken eaters" or "only pork eaters" unless you only give a one meat option at serving. If it is open buffet, you need to plan for everyone to take some of everything.

It does all even out in the end, but, only if you plan enough for all. I work on wanting to have 2/3 pound of total finished product for each person, of each meat. And at a minimum, I would plan for one chicken thigh per person. If you really need to be tight on budget:

40 chicken thighs
40 1/4# servings of pork
401/4# servings of brisket

Which would mean you need to start with 20 pounds raw pork, 20 pounds raw brisket (after trimming). Since you are cooking just points, that number might push to 25 pounds raw point, as it render out more.

Back