Road Trip to Kentucky

TXJeremy

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Next month I'm heading out on a roadtrip from Bryan, Tx to visit family in Glasgow, Ky. That being said I would like to turn it into a small BBQ crawl of sorts. Does anyone have any suggestions for some good roadside Q?

Areas I'll be close to:

* Hope, Ar
* Arkadelphia, Ar
* Little Rock, Ar
* Memphis, Tn
* Nashville, Tn
* Franklin, Tn
* Bowling Green, Ky
* Decatur, AL
* Birmingham, AL
* Tuscaloosa, AL
* Jackson, MS
* Monroe, LA
* Shreveport, LA

Travel log with pictures to follow..

Last edited:
IMO the best Q in Little Rock is at the Whole Hog Cafe on Cantrell Rd. Run by an ole comp cooker named Mike "Sarge" Davis. This spot was mentioned in Peace, Love, & BBQ. The franchise in N. Little Rock is good too.

Then there's Sim's BBQ. This is a mustard sauce joint. Not my favorite as they don't include bark in a pork sammy. Best to go at lunchtime at this spot.

Also Lindsays BBQ in N.L.R. is decent. Also a lunch spot. BTW, they cook with all wood on a J&R Oyler.

Not quite halfway to Memphis is my favorite. Craigs in DeValls Bluff. It's off I-40 but not far out of the way or hard to get to. There have been a few threads about this one in the road trips before. By all accounts there are a couple of good pie places in town for dessert. One's just across the highway. Full disclosure I've never tried the pies.

In Memphis I've been to Central BBQ on Central Ave., The Rendezvous, and Interstate BBQ. Of these Central is my favorite.

Thanks, Craigs is on my list along with Jones Bar-B-Q Diner in Marianna, AR..

Thanks, Craigs is on my list along with Jones Bar-B-Q Diner in Marianna, AR..

Yes, I want to go to Jones' but every time I'm near there I seem to be on company time.:sick:

If you have the time a side trip through Hot Springs to McClard's would be a good time. If so try a Tamale Spread or more sensibly a 1/2 spread. Tamale topped with chopped BBQ and sauce.

Yes, I want to go to Jones' but every time I'm near there I seem to be on company time.:sick:

If you have the time a side trip through Hot Springs to McClard's would be a good time. If so try a Tamale Spread or more sensibly a 1/2 spread. Tamale topped with chopped BBQ and sauce.

I just came across McClards site, what about Stubby's?

Thanks again

I have mixed feelings about Stubby's. When I was a smoker I hated their sauce and didn't eat anything from there for a long time. As a non-smoker I like it alot better. The couple of times I've had carry out by the pound pork from there they didn't watch the amount of fat vrs. lean you get. The last couple of times I've eaten in there the pork sammy was pretty good.

ETA: While it's not BBQ there's some good Mexican food to be found in HS. Trejo's, Don Juan's and Nom Nom's are all good. Nom Nom's started out as a Mexican Ice Cream joint and added Burritos and Tortas. Very high quality. Trejo's and Don Juans are full menu 'raunts.

Back