San Diego

Timmy Mac

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Going to San diego to visit my cousin in a couple weeks. I'm going to hit up stone brewery. I was just wondering if there's any places I need to hit up food or beverage wise thanks. Or anything else

He lives downtown by the Padres stadium. If that helps. When I visited him before couple years ago he lived in Pacific beach.

I live in San Diego.....!

Stone is a good stop, but so is Green Flash Brewery, Pizza Port Brewery, Iron Fist brewery! For a fun tavern experience, stop by Hamiltons Tavern.

Go to Ocean Beach, walk down Newport Ave and have fish tacos at South Beach Bar & Grill. THAT is a San Diego experience.

I caution against Phil's BBQ (hint, they DON'T have/use a BBQ). It is pure tourist junkfood. There are better places if BBQ is what you seek (Brazen BBQ), but SoCal is NOT your BBQ destination vacation spot as other parts of the country are. Our Zoo is world class as is Balboa park.

I'll second Phil's for beef ribs. Not crazy about most of the other stuff there, but the beef ribs were great each of the 4-5 times i've eaten there!

I was suggested some great places, but alas I didn't make it out to any of them since I was at the mercy of sister and pre planning when I went out there.

Some places I did go were really good. I stayed out on Coronado Island so some of the places were on the island that I went to avoid sitting in traffic.

Clayton's on Coronado. It is a coffee shop with a bakery and a taco stand. I went to the taco stand which is a door on the side of hte building and you eat the food on the sidewalk. The tacos and shrimp burrito were really good and I would recommend it if you were on Coronado.

Coronado Brewing Company was a nice restaurant also. The food didn't blow me away but I was happy with my experience there. I enjoyed myself a flight of beer, some muscles and their pizza.

Bluewater Seafood on Coronado - This place was great. Great atmosphere and view and great food to match. It is a place that is a must go to eat.

Tacos Perla - North Park - Hands down the best Tacos I have eatten. They have the traditional Tacos (carne asada, adobada (pork) and Mahi) And they have non traditional ones such as grilled octopus, shrimp, smoked albacore, tacos. Their salsas also were off the hook. It is low key down to earth atmosphere. It is also right around the corner from Modern Times Brewery. I am not sure if it is a must go or not, but you won't be disappointed if you do go.

Modern Times Brewery - North Park- went and had a flight there. I definitely like their beers.

Night and Day Cafe - This is a throw back to the 50's style diner. THe place maybe has 20 seats and a short order cook. The food was ok, but the atmosphere there was really neat.

I plan on going out there again later this year and want to more places.

Visit Dale Ginos at When Pigs Fly BBQ. He is a brethren and his family is awesome!

Back