Snow's and Stiles Switch

gtr

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I was in Austin this past weekend and was able to get a hold of some great BBQ.

On Friday night we were just driving around looking for a place and a passenger (I was driving) said "What's Stiles Switch? There's a sign that says Stiles Switch". U-turn! Pulled into the lot, a band was playing on the patio outside, and we went in and ordered. They were very close to closing - it was 10 or so, and all they had was chopped beef (brisket and short rib) and sausage and some sides.

What they had laying around at the end of the day is better than what most places have all day long. As we were eating, they brought us some of their pork ribs - dayum! Great, great stuff. Mac & cheese was good, as were the beans, and the sauce was phenomenal (I'm not a sauce guy but I always check it out). I did not get pix - I'd been traveling, and stuffing my face took all my attention. I will definitely be back if I get the chance. The folks who worked there were all very nice btw.

I got up early on Saturday and hit Snow's. Simply fantastic. Great food, nice folks. I talked with Tootsie Tomanetz for a little and she was super cool.

I got a pound each of brisket, pork (shoulder but cooked like a roast - i.e. not pulled - she said pulled pork looked like somebody took pork and played ball with it. :laugh:), pork ribs, and regular and spicy sausage. I ate a little of everything on the spot and munched on the rest throughout the day with some help from my bros.

IMG_3558-1.jpg

A few shots...

IMG_3537.jpg

IMG_3538.jpg

IMG_3553.jpg

IMG_3551.jpg

IMG_3548.jpg

Anytime I find myself in Austin or that area on Saturday morning youbetchurazz I'll be at Snow's bright and early (or rainy and early, as the case was this time). I got there around 8:20 or so and was in line for maybe 20 minutes at the most. I'd do it again any chance I get.

I passed through Elgin, where Southside Market and Meyer's are. They were closed (it was before 10) but Meyer's has a drive through window that opens at 8am. :shocked: So...

IMG_3556.jpg

This is why I brought my soft sided cooler! I'll tell anybody who is traveling to Central TX to bring a cooler and stock up on sausage. Don't even think about it - just do it!

I had planned on hitting Cooper's in Llano on Sunday, but I had old friends to see. We met at a place called Taco More. I had the best farking chile relleno I've ever had there. The guac was amazing, as were all the salsas, the beans and rice, etc. Everybody was blown away by what they got, so I'm glad we went there and I pledged to make sure I have at least one Tex Mex meal anytime I'm in that area rather than just eating only BBQ the whole time. I can't recommend this place strongly enough - one of the best meals of any kind I've had in a long time and it was great to see some folks I haven't seen in way too long. Did I get pix? No! :tsk:

I think I need to arrange it so I can get to Austin at least once a year just to eat a lot - there is so much good food there. I used to live there but I was too dang poor to take partake of most of what was around there at the time.

Awesome, looks like an outstanding time to me. Is it tough to get all that meat through the airport? How much do they bust your stones about that?

This kid is getting a first class education I say.

IMG_3551.jpg

Stiles Switch is good food without the hassle of the lines. I thought their brisket was pretty dang good when I went!

I would be thrilled to have a bbq place open around here at 8am. That's my kind of breakfast!

Awesome, looks like an outstanding time to me. Is it tough to get all that meat through the airport? How much do they bust your stones about that?

This kid is getting a first class education I say.

IMG_3551.jpg

I've brought meat back twice now and haven't had a problem. I've checked it though - seems like it's easier and there's the benefit of it being colder in the cargo part of the plane anyway. I got to talking BBQ with one of the TSA guys and I know if he would have been inspecting, he either would have been cool with it or taken it for himself! He started name checking all the joints around there that he's been to. Anyway, based on my limited experience, the way to go is to get the stuff, freeze it if you can, stick it in one of those soft sided coolers with a zipper, and check it. 2 successful misisons - so far so good!

Stiles Switch is good food without the hassle of the lines. I thought their brisket was pretty dang good when I went!

I really like what I got there, and that was the final scraps. I'd sure love to see what they got going on when the full menu is available. The pork ribs, which they were probably gonna fling, were easily among the best I've had.

I would be thrilled to have a bbq place open around here at 8am. That's my kind of breakfast!

And a drive through no less! :shocked: Made my day!

^^^one day before the world ends we gotta do a cross country BBQ crawl!

Back