Contract Question

HBMTN

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
If a venue books you for their private events do you make them sign a contract or wave the procedure? I've booked several venues lately and have just been on a handshake as we do work at the venues for other parties and jus wondered if you all keep your same contract procedure for them as well?

Im sure the venues get a deposit and a contract when they book a date for an event, so I really dont think it would be out of line or unreasonable for you to ask them for the same. The date might get canceled for some reason beyond your control, the bride gets cold feet, the company cancels its event for lack of money, you never know. I know we all want the work, but better to be safe than sorry later. It is business, and I am sure everyone understands.

This is just my personal opinion and S.O.P. ALWAYS get a signed contract or you risk up to and including total loss on your part.

It all depends on the level of financial risk you choose to take. :mrgreen:

Are their contracts available on line .or here? Also, when it comes to contracts, I read somewhere on here about a written agreement when leaving food behind at an event that was catered. A contract that states no liability towards the caterer if food is mishandled after leaving, like a wedding. Can someone lead me to those documents? Thank You

Are their contracts available on line .or here? Also, when it comes to contracts, I read somewhere on here about a written agreement when leaving food behind at an event that was catered. A contract that states no liability towards the caterer if food is mishandled after leaving, like a wedding. Can someone lead me to those documents? Thank You

Contracts can be found online. However, they are rather generic or written for a specific area of business. They are a good starting place though.

The reason online contracts are generic in nature is that State/County/Municipality laws/codes/etc regarding Catering operations and contracts vary. It is best to have an attorney create your contracts so that you are covered in the areas you intend to do business. I personally know of two individuals that used "generic" contracts and found out the hard way that some of the things written in them were nullified by State/Local laws, codes, etc.

The same goes for Liability Releases. This is the customer signed document that releases you from liability if the customer asks to keep "left overs". Since the product, at that point, is out of your food safety control you need to be released from liability if they mishandle the food and someone gets sick. NOTE: Some HD's DO NOT ALLOW food to be left even with a waiver/release.

Usually for $300-$500 dollars an attorney will draft both documents to cover you for your business area.

All that having been said here is an "example" of a Release Form.
LINK

This is a good "example" of a Catering Contract. It covers most of the bases imo. NOTE the "Leftover Food" section of this contract.
LINK

Thanks Bizz, Good advice. I'll check with my HD on the leftover/waiver question

Back