wagyu dry aged brisket

rico79

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
has anyone tried dry aged wagyu brisket for comps? I am always looking for something different to experiment with but let's face it this stuff ain't cheap. any thoughts?

Lol, did you watch the brisket video on the site?

Dry aged rib eye is my favorite type of steak. I'd be willing to give this a try.

I will be aging a Wagyu brisket as soon as I get some of these:

http://www.drybagsteak.com/videos-dry-age-steak-at-home.php

I have this system for a few years now. Works great!!.. I would suggest getting a Johnson controls refridgerator control with it. You can better dial in the proper temperature.

Having said this, I wouldn't try it on brisket. Wagyus have been running a bit thin lately, and with needing to trim off the 'dead' meat, you'll be left with very little flat... If you were to find a monsterously thick prime flat, try it on that!!.. I might even try it too.

Never tried a Waygu, but my butcher gave me a CAB Prime brisket that was dry aged last week to try out as an experiment. It started at 12lbs and trimmed down to just under 11lbs. It was a great darker than wet aged red. The marble in the flat was less than what I typically cook, and the point looked normal. Texture was less flexible than wet-aged as to be expected. It got injected with Butchers regular mix, and rubbed with Smokin Guns hot. Wrapped and in the fridge all night. The next morning it came up to about 65 before going on the pit at 225. It made 165 in 5 hours where I wrapped it with a bit of marinade and put it back on at same temp. The probe read 195 two and a half hours later. Stabbed it with the thermapen a couple spots in the flat and saw 198 and felt a bit tight. Another 30 minutes showed 203 and I pulled, vented 10 minutes. It rested for 90 minutes foiled, toweled, and in the Cambro before I opened it up. The smell was great, the color/bark pretty too. Split the flat and sliced it up comp size. The ring was fair, color nice, bend test was poor, and the pull wasn't like wet-aged. It had stretch, but was a uniform snug feel before pulling apart. What I liked least was the feeling when eating it. The bite wasn't what I was used to at all. It wasn't chewy like a under-cook or tough muscle, it was best described as dense. The beef flavor was profound and that I liked, but there was something else going on. My taste testing group was united in that it was good, but not great.

Never tried a Waygu, but my butcher gave me a CAB Prime brisket that was dry aged last week to try out as an experiment. It started at 12lbs and trimmed down to just under 11lbs. It was a great darker than wet aged red. The marble in the flat was less than what I typically cook, and the point looked normal. Texture was less flexible than wet-aged as to be expected. It got injected with Butchers regular mix, and rubbed with Smokin Guns hot. Wrapped and in the fridge all night. The next morning it came up to about 65 before going on the pit at 225. It made 165 in 5 hours where I wrapped it with a bit of marinade and put it back on at same temp. The probe read 195 two and a half hours later. Stabbed it with the thermapen a couple spots in the flat and saw 198 and felt a bit tight. Another 30 minutes showed 203 and I pulled, vented 10 minutes. It rested for 90 minutes foiled, toweled, and in the Cambro before I opened it up. The smell was great, the color/bark pretty too. Split the flat and sliced it up comp size. The ring was fair, color nice, bend test was poor, and the pull wasn't like wet-aged. It had stretch, but was a uniform snug feel before pulling apart. What I liked least was the feeling when eating it. The bite wasn't what I was used to at all. It wasn't chewy like a under-cook or tough muscle, it was best described as dense. The beef flavor was profound and that I liked, but there was something else going on. My taste testing group was united in that it was good, but not great.

When you pulled it at 203 did it probe like butter? Sounds like it could have used a couple more degrees IT.

Just wondering.

We found that dry aged briskets had more beefy flavor, but the lack of moisture was a problem for tenderness. I now think its a mistake to dry age briskets. There are other ways to get more beefy flavor, but dry is dry. Never did try it with a wagyu, but I expect you would end up with the same problem.

Brett

This is why this is too rich for my blood. I'm sure this was an expensive experiment (unless you live in Texas) and will be even more expensive to get right. It is expensive enough for me trying to get choice briskies perfect at 4 bucks a pound.

Hard to explain. The probe went in smooth and easy. There was a bit of a "drag" that I don't get with others. My thinking at the time was if it cooked to any higher temp it was going to result in my mom's roast beef that used to fall apart. The wife may have put it best when she asked if there wasn't something odd about injecting a cut that spent weeks drying out. It was a curious cook, but I came away feeling there wasn't 6 judges at any table that would call it a 9 on taste or tender.

Back