Spare ribs vs. St. Louis Cut

hubmacfan

Reaction score
I know the difference between spares and St. Louis ribs. My question is what is the best value in this situation.

In the local sales for Labor Day, I can get spares for $1.99 a pound. St. Louis cut ribs would be $2.69/lb.

The only thing that's keeping this from being an easy decision is that I've never trimmed spare ribs into a St. Louis cut. It looks easy enough to do, though. I also am not sure what to do with the trimmings.

Would you pay the extra $0.70 per pound to get them pre-cut?

Get the spares, cook them whole, then trim after. Find the tallest bone in the rack after cooking and cut horizontally to separate the ribs from the top. Cut the breast bone off (bigger bone on the top side that runs diagonally). Cut the remaining into rib tips. I actually sometimes prefer the rib tips depending on the quality of the rack. I bet if you search the site you will find a picture tutorial.

the trimmings can be cooked along with the ribs (or later) makes great chilli, beans, the list goes on. Your-tube is your friend, goggle and you will find lots of videos. I have bought St. Louis cut before, when I was pressed for time, or two blank lazy to trim them!

If you don't like the tips just buy the St Louis cut. If I'm cooking for just me I freeze the tips and save them for a rib tip party I plan on having. It's not a better deal if you don't eat the meat.

St. Louis ribs

St. Louis ribs are worth the extra money, in my opinion.

I've bought the St. Louis cut a couple of times when I didn't feel like trimming. Otherwise, I'll save a few bucks and trim myself.

They are great for adding to beans, rib tip tacos/sammiches, snacking while cooking, and whatever else you like. It's rib, it's guud!

I always buy whole spare ribs. I trim them down to st. louis cuts. Cook up the ribs and rib tips and serve both on the table. 2 racks of ribs w/ rib tips, and sides can feed 7-8 average sized people typically.

I buy the spares, trim them down to st. Louis then cook.
You can use the trimmings for beans chili etc. And you get tips as well.

Trimming them down to St. Louis cut is a very simple thing to do. Once you do one rack, you'll wonder why you've ever spent the extra money.

I've been cooking untrimmed spares lately, then cutting them after they are done. The results to me have been a more juicy and tender product with awesome flavor. I've been using peach wood on the last few rib cooks, and it has turned my great ribs into very great ribs.

Around here, I can find spares for around $2.00/lb, and St Louis cuts are around $3.00/lb, so it's a no brainer to pick up the full spares.

I buy whole spares, trim them down before cooking and cook them all at the same time.
The rib tips are done before the bones are and they make good little snacks to graze on as well as seasoning for a pot of beans.:wink:

My wife is from the Philippines ... better believe we buy the spares and trim them up ... she makes some pretty good eats with the tips and trimmings.

My wife is from the Philippines ... better believe we buy the spares and trim them up ... she makes some pretty good eats with the tips and trimmings.

I bet she makes some Adobo Baboy and Sinigang with the trimmings. I know because that is what I make with the trimmings when I don't cook them with the ribs. :p

I usually go with St. L's. I always tell myself I am going to pay attention to the trimmings when I get Spares but it hardly ever works out;)

Spares trimmed/St Louis

Hope this helps.NO problem at all cutting spares down to St Louis, use the tips for beans.
Danb

Last edited:
Yair . . . I can't get my head around the concept that anyone would throw trimmings away . . . food in the US is obviously too cheap.

We waste or trim nothing except maybe a bit of fat . . . if it looks at all meaty it gets hung in the drum. How it comes out may vary but it is all a lot more edible than the way it went in, we can't afford to be fussy.

DanB just posted while I was typing. Why would you do that, what is the reason you trim to "St Louis" what difference does it make?

Cheers.

Scrub, Dan is not wasting the trimmings, just removing them and using them for something else. I would say it's presentation. St. Louis Style ribs are an option here and are basically a full rack of spares cut the way Dan did. Butchers charge more for them.

Yair . . . I can't get my head around the concept that anyone would throw trimmings away . . . food in the US is obviously too cheap.

We waste or trim nothing except maybe a bit of fat . . . if it looks at all meaty it gets hung in the drum. How it comes out may vary but it is all a lot more edible than the way it went in, we can't afford to be fussy.

DanB just posted while I was typing. Why would you do that, what is the reason you trim to "St Louis" what difference does it make?

Cheers.
If you are in a hurry, and cook at a higher temperature, the thinner portions over cook. Trimming allows one to control this by pulling the trimmed portions as they are done.

Back