UDS Advice - if you had to do it again

Dr. Trout Bum

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Making a UDS and want 2 racks. The drum height is 35 inches. The bottom of my fire basket will be 3.25 inches off the bottom. I will be using a Weber Kettle grill for a lid.

If you were building a new one, where would you place two racks?

If I were building another UDS I would build it upside down with slider intakes. A lift off body. I would put one grate 6 inches from the top new next grate 16 inches from the top

Did the BPS drum..and wouldn't change a thing.

I do wish i would have done the high heat powder coat to begin with.

I would do one of those adjustable rack deals I keep seeing people do. Or at least make a triple rack one.

Yep, do the adjustable. I built mine with two fixed. I had the flat lid though. I was reading the UDS thread and saw the adjustable idea and modified mine. I'm looking forward to having multiple racks for doing jerky or bigger cooks.

Rebar and hooks PLUS racks

If I had it to do again, I'd get rid of the 3/4" pipe nipple & ball valve setup and go with a rectangular slider vent. Adjustable racks are nice, but I'm happy with my fixed. I can always bolt some 90° angles inside if I want to go up or down.

I believe my top rack is 8" from the top of the barrel and the lower rack (mainly for my drip pan/diffuser) is 4-5" below that (just below the top "waist" of the barrel. Obviously you can go higher with a weber lid.

With a flat lid I done my racks at 3" and 7" - sometimes I would use both racks and 3" wasn't enough with a flat lid. So then I switched to a Weber lid. The weber lid gives me the added room and maintains decent temps for the smoke. But I have trouble getting it to shut down.
If I built another UDS I would move the racks to 5 and 9, I do like the flat lid! I also thought about using the adjustable track...It would give you a lot of options with spacing.

One last thought: the height of an 85 gallon drum is around 37" that would give you an extra 2"
I have put a lot of hours into thinking how I want to build my next UDS. Even adding more exhaust to the kettle lid. If I went that route.
Edit: my current drum height is 34"

Really depends on what YOU want from your UDS. Unless your doing stand up chickens or multi turkey's 5 5/8" gap between racks is all that is required. So 6 " carriage bolts for legs gives you that gap. And allows the 2 racks to be rotated easily. ( thanks to N8man for that idea) Your bottom deflector/drip pan grate only needs to be 1 or 2 " above the coal basket. If using a Weber style lid, you can easily use 8” carriage bolts for legs for the grates. I even have 10” carriage bolts that I swap out when required. I have one UDS with a 13”X 12” high coal basket and one with 17” X 8” high coal basket.
I prefer the flat lid to the Weber style, I have one of each. Personal preference.
My intakes are different than others as I wanted easy control, no chance of wind direction being a problem causing temp spikes etc or snow intrusion in the winter and be able to hit 650 to 800 degrees.
Build it how you like it, that’s the whole reason besides ease of use for UDS.

Would anyone with a sliding draft door not do it again?

cut the bottom out inside the lip, leaving a very small ledge, fit the lid so that it sets inside. dripping in the lid go back into the drum!

I would do it the same as the first, adjustable shelves.

Do you have trouble with the adjustable shelves with grease build up?

Good thread :thumb:

TXLX says
If I had it to do again, I'd get rid of the 3/4" pipe nipple & ball valve setup and go with a rectangular slider vent. Adjustable racks are nice, but I'm happy with my fixed. I can always bolt some 90° angles inside if I want to go up or down.

I believe my top rack is 8" from the top of the barrel and the lower rack (mainly for my drip pan/diffuser) is 4-5" below that (just below the top "waist" of the barrel. Obviously you can go higher with a weber lid.

agree mostly except instead of slider vents on bottom just 3 one inch holes, save ur money on ball valves and just use heavy duty refridge magnets u already have hanging all over the place. my lower rack is 9 1/2 inch from top, my top rack is 4 1/2 from top, flat lid. wish it had a weber because can't do thicker cuts.

I've bookmarked this for when I find a free barrel. Thanks!

Do you have trouble with the adjustable shelves with grease build up?

Good thread :thumb:

No, I clean the uprights with a wad of foil after each cook so I can see the slots. Can see a black slot in black barrel, haha.

Back