Goes against everything I know, but..

Mrtodd777

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
After several cookouts my boss has had me take part in, he has decided we need not only our genesis for grillin, but now we need an ELECTRIC smoker...:evil: He wants me to price them so we can do some wild game and turkeys for thanksgiving. I offered to do them at home on my proper smoker but he declined and wants to do it here... The kicker is that he only wants to spend around 200 bucks!!! which cheap electric piece of crap should I pick up??? I need it to hold at least a turkey and a couple cuts of something else.. Thanks brethren...

I had one of these in a older model and you can still make good Q on one.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20070910-30-Inch-Electric-Controller/dp/B00104WRCY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409351489&sr=8-1&keywords=electric+smokers+for+sale"]Amazon.com : Masterbuilt 20070910 30-Inch Black Electric Digital Smoker, Top Controller : Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41qXico-UDL.@@AMEPARAM@@41qXico-UDL[/ame]

Also used one of these for years with very good results.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Brinkmann-810-7080-8-Gourmet-Electric-Smoker/dp/B0009WG6RA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1409351736&sr=8-4&keywords=electric+smokers"]Amazon.com : Brinkmann 810-7080-8 Gourmet Electric Smoker and Grill with Vinyl Cover, Red : Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4151eUiOqZL.@@AMEPARAM@@4151eUiOqZL[/ame]

They may not be what we like to use...but your still smokin with wood...chips anyway. Still make some awesome tastin stuff!

The only ones I know of in that price range is Masterbuilt. It may be hard to get a turkey in there, and the ratings online say the element fails in the first year.

I can't verify because the reviews prevented me from buying one for my shop.

^^^yep...but they are replaceable for pretty cheap. I did a 1200 watt element upgrade to mine in about 1 hour and 30 bucks.

The Brinkmann elements are 15 bucks at Wally World and seem to last a couple years a piece.

The Brinkmann would probably be the best bet here for cooking a Turkey. I cooked a 22 lb one last year on a friends with great results. 2 racks inside and without the top one in place you have plenty of head room. With a 200 dollar budget you could buy two Brinkmann's.

Get a Char-broil Big Easy Electric 2-1, then you will get a good turkey for sure, as the Big Easy is a great turkey cooker, and with the smoke chips, you can get a hint of smoke in there as well. If you get a rack, you can also do other cuts, it does work pretty well.

An electric can put out some great que, very easy to over smoke though, be careful how many wood chunks you use. Loved my Cookshack.

You can usually find those brinkmann electrics for under $100. I'd just get two of those, and that should hold more than enough meat for you. (Plus, you could eventually convert it to run on charcoal if the need arises...)

I have a Cookshack , used it quite often when I did not have the time to do real BBQ .
Electric is a compromise , that being said it worked for me… Another tool in the shed

I have smokin-it #2. It's a bit more then $200 but it's a nice simple unit all stainless steel. Masterbuilts electrics are popular as well. I'd stay away from the brinkman electric bullet.

To go along with the UDS idea, you could just add a replacement Brinkman element or two, to a drum, and be able to do electric or charcoal. might take little more effort to make but it'd be versatile. Probably would need some insulation..

Open your mind and give it a try. Heed the warnings on oversmoking.

The Brinkman will do fine if it is warm outside.

When it gets colder, you would be well served by an insulated model, like the Master Built Electric Smoker. You can get good Q in sub zero weather with it! Store it covered or indoors.

Serve it up and don't apologize. Let the boss and the coworkers enjoy!!

I have smokin-it #2. It's a bit more then $200 but it's a nice simple unit all stainless steel. Masterbuilts electrics are popular as well. I'd stay away from the brinkman electric bullet.

To go along with the UDS idea, you could just add a replacement Brinkman element or two, to a drum, and be able to do electric or charcoal. might take little more effort to make but it'd be versatile. Probably would need some insulation..
Speaking of electric UDS's, didn't Norcoredneck build some impressive UDS with electric elements a few years ago?
For use at his workplace, where live fire was not allowed?

Back