• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Discussion Thread -> SPECIAL** "Noobians vs. Vets: Season 3!"** Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Woo Hoo! Looks like I can play here too!

**** This is an official entry ****

**** Since the statute of limitations does not appear to run out, I am a Veteran Farkonaut -- Ahoy Mateys! ****

This is my spicy coffee that I have every morning. It is actually my second cup:

I begin with some coffee syrup, made from cold-brewed coffee. We don't have our roaster and there's no room for it anyway, so we made this with store-bought. Actually, this is Gevalia, so it's not too bad.

Since this is syrup concentrate, I top it with water....

Then I add the spicy ingredient. In Spain, just about everything is considered to be spicy. I think they would die if they had a Hatch chile. I noticed that the special rules suggested any kind of spice could be used. I chose Cola Cao, which is my personal favorite. It is far superior to Nestle's, for example.

I then slip it into my trusty Optigrill -- this is how I know that it is grilled :thumb:

Usually about 50 seconds is all it needs -- this is a hot-and-fast cook. :thumb:

and then I feast:

Mods, please use this last photo.

Now, where's me parrot?

Well, now. I obviously missed this from yesterday.

A noobian pirate's mother's birthday dinner

An entry for the noobians: a cook for me mother's birthday Aaarggh!

First up, the mushroom and swiss fattie:
Here we have the chub already stuffed with the mushrooms and swiss. Not much else was done to the ingredients.
mushswiss1.jpg
For additional flavor and a pinch of pizzazz I wrapped it in a bacon weave:
mushswiss2.jpg

Second, a chorizo and Cotija fattie:
I lightly fried the chorizo with onion and little bit of Yardbird. I then topped it with the Cotija:
chorizocotija2.jpg
Rolled it up and then coated with mustard and Yardbird.
chorizocotija3.jpg

The meatloaf that was requested for her birthday:
First, sautee some onion and garlic in EVOO with cumin and basil.
meatloaf1.jpg
Mix in an egg with three pounds of 80/20 and the onion/garlic mixture.
Rub with Cajun seasoning.
meatloaf2.jpg

Put it all on the hickory stick fired smoker for about three hours:
(Note: Those are turkey drumsticks - $1 a piece at HyVee)
onthesmoker.jpg

My entry picture: Serve with roast corn on the cob and potato salad:
plate.jpg

Me Mother left happy with the third of a meatloaf that was left after we all dug in.
:grin:

well my first entry to a TD, first time i have had to cook all month and i have the next four to cook, so started off with some burgers tonihght, and tomorrow sausage making, sunday brisket and monday ribs and wings, happy labor day weekend everyone. last pick as my official entry please

Attachments

• IMAG2904_BURST002_1_zpshydmnbvv.jpg
    IMAG2904_BURST002_1_zpshydmnbvv.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 75
  • IMAG2912_zps9scinhad.jpg
    IMAG2912_zps9scinhad.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMAG2916_zpsri4ybjqk.jpg
    IMAG2916_zpsri4ybjqk.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMAG2919_BURST002_zps2meqfvc4.jpg
    IMAG2919_BURST002_zps2meqfvc4.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 73
  • IMAG2924_BURST002_zpss7uohgxk.jpg
    IMAG2924_BURST002_zpss7uohgxk.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 375
Beef short ribs cook entry for the noobies

Tried my luck at beef short ribs that I was able to get at the local butcher shop. Cooked them at 225 for 4 hours then wrapped them and cooked about another 90 minutes. Thermapen showed the temperature at around 205 and the bones were pulled back like I have seen other peoples cook. The ribs were good but a little tough for my liking. Anyways here are my pictures to enter for the Noobies.

Just went on the grill

90 minutes in on rib 1

Rib 2

Ribs done

Sliced shot...Use this for voting

Last edited:
Boneless turkey breast entry for the noobies

Saturday of labor day weekend I am doing boneless turkey breast on my pellet grill. Cooked the breast at 195 degrees and also had an amazen smoke tube smoking inside which went out because I still have a half tube of pellets remaining. As I said smoked the breast for around 2 hours on 195 using Traeger Pecan pellets on my Jim Bowie. Pulled the breast with an IT of around 159-160 and let it rest around 5 minutes foiled up.

I rubbed the breast using McCormicks Grill Mate apple rub. I pulled the skin off and rubbed the meat then put the skin back on and put some rub on it as well. Here are my turkey results. Please accept these pictures as an official entry for the Noobies. I look forward to entering other throwdowns in the future.

Rubbed and ready for the smoker

1 hour into the cook

This is my picture I want used for judging. This is the finished turkey

Sliced and ready to eat

Gore, unfortunately, since your entry was cooked in the microwave and not complying with the TD requirement to be cooked on a grill or smoker, I have to present you with a Dilly Bar. You can see about trading it for a fruit bar due to your lactose intolerance, but no guarantees...

5. Entries must be Grilled or Smoked during the cooking process, or must prominently feature Grilled or Smoked ingredients which you prepared. Photos of your food on the grill or smoker are encouraged but not required (we love action shots).

08-12+Dilly+Bar.jpg

There's a new sheriff in town and his name is Peeps and he has a big dilly bar. So y'all be cool now, right on. :hail:

There's a new sheriff in town and his name is Peeps and he has a big dilly bar. So y'all be cool now, right on. :hail:
I'm not lookin' for reasons, just enforcing the regular ol' rules we all agree to by entering these things :wink:

Back