First Time Whole Hog cook in action

polishdon

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
My poor trailer smoker never gets any use anymore because we have the Battle Box and WSM's that we use for competitions. Earlier this year I modified my trailer cooker so I could fit a whole hog in there. I had no idea how big of one it would hold or when I would cook one, but I wanted it to be ready.

Luckily for me I live on a great street with fun neighbors and we have a block party every year. So this year when enough people replied that they were coming I offered to cook a pig for it. This is the first time I've ever cooked a whole piggy so I studied up online and went for it.

I ordered a 65lb pig from RD at $4.09/lb (OUCH) and went and picked it up yesterday. I brought it home and let it thaw some more in my garage, even though they took it out of the freezer on Monday, the RD "cooler" is so cold it didn't quite thaw all the way. After the thaw I put her on ice for the night.
fe273863-7d4c-4250-9b87-680837d79805.jpg

This morning I got up at 5, pulled her out of the cooler and prepped it. I cut away any nasty stuff, pulled the silver skin off the ribs and did some trimming around the ribs, hams and shoulders just to get some separation so I could apply rub to the meat areas.
4C09B8EB-7BAF-44CD-9076-AC4A032FCBD0.jpg

After coating the cavity with rub, I flipped her over, put some olive oil on the skin and applied kosher salt. Foiled the ears and snout to help them from burning and she was ready for her big day.
AC72701A-F2C5-4CD8-9609-2BFA1D09DC2E.jpg

In the meantime I got the cooker up to temp, nice clean fire burning on "Hambone". I use a bag of Humphrey's briqs to get a bed of coals going, and have been feeding it logs of Pear and chunks of hickory since.
233bde3d-8e98-4322-a56d-ab16d6d2f0ee.jpg

I woke my neighbor up at 7 and had him help me get ms piggy loaded up. She fits perfect in my cooker. An hour in I snapped some pics
45FDF4D5-3BD9-498E-B23E-B20BC36EEF8D.jpg

You can see the legs were already getting color.
C97EFDEA-DABF-4D70-B4A4-B2EF89929468.jpg

The pit has been steady in the 250 range, I'm coming up on the 4 hour mark soon so I'm going to spin the pig around to keep it cooking evenly.

More to come!!!

Love it! Y'all are gonna be eating good today!

Cooking a pig over here tomorrow as well.

Looks good! How big is your rack. I have never done one either and want an idea of how big I could go

This is awesome thanks for the play by play! It's looking mighty fine!

Great job! I've noticed that pigs seem to have loose wrinkled skin when they start out but as you cook them the skin seems to tighten up nicely. Thank you for sharing. Will stay tuned for more.

Looks amazing man! Wow! Your cooker looks so clean too. How do you do that haha.

Back