Discussion Thread -> SPECIAL** "Noobians vs. Vets: Season 3!"** Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our new August Special TD category is...

"Noobs vs. Vets: Season 3!
"

LargepirateflaganimatedGIF_zps4be4e303.gif

Arrgh, matey! The SS Farkanaut sets sail to once again decimate the Noobian Fleet!

Here is last year's voting thread

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

1. This is an OPEN CATEGORY, meaning you can cook anything you like as long as it conforms to Standard Throwdown Rules. Anyone who has participated in 4 or fewer TD's prior to 8/1/2014 will be on the Noobian team, while everyone with 5 or more TD's prior to 8/1/2014 will be on the Veteran team!

2. MULTIPLE ENTRIES ARE ALLOWED and highly encouraged!

3. You can submit entries from other throwdowns that run during the course of this one!

4. Voting will be decided thusly:

All Noobians and currently enlisted and veteran Farkanauts who choose to participate will each submit entries of their choosing. The winning group will be decided by a tally of most votes, i.e. if the Noobians have the most collective votes, the Noobians win.

Please specify at the top of each entry whether it is for the Noobian or Veteran Team. If you do not, your entry will not be counted.

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 8/1 through Sunday 8/31/14.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 9/1/14.

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
The opening "shot" in the battle belongs to team noobian

Or as I like to call it the noobian ninjas.

Here is my entry for the noobian

Half a yard bird. I let the skin dry out for a day in the fridge. This morning I gave it a good coat of bone sacking sauce rub, it's a good sweet rub. Diced up some red skin potatoes while I was at it. Half way through I brushed it with a doctored up Stubbs spicy then once more with 15 min left. The bird came out real juicy, the taters were good too.

On the grill

Had some Bad Company radio going during the cook, that JBL charge rocks

Carved up

And plated

Please accept this as my polling pic for voting

The vets must go down!

Thanks for viewing

ninja.gif

Last edited:
Oh, what the fark, here's an entry for the veteran Farkenaughts.

So, I started by making a bigass fatty -- a two chub super fatty, that I cooked on the 18.5 OTG with KB and some Apple wood.

When it was done, I sliced it, and put a slice on a toasted English muffin. Nice smoke ring on that sausage.

I whipped up a Hollandaise sauce, and poached an egg.

I present to you a Fatty Benedict, garnished with diced jalepeño from my garden -- and a little parsley from my garden, just for Ronelle. :becky:

^^^^^ money shot.

So, how did it taste?

Breakfast is served!

CD

CD, that's just fantastic! :clap2:

How come you Moose-proofed the exact same entry in the Fatty TD, but not this one?

Official Veteran entry.

No need fer ye noobs to hang the jib, we veterans arrgh raising the red flag and shall give no quarter!

Aye was feeling a wee bit squiffy and amok with hungar, so I broke out one of my favorite rubs from my bag of swag aye got from Brethren Don Marco and fired up the Libby the Lion Gasser.

Aye rubbed down some bone in sheep chops with extra virgin oil from me crankcase and flung some of the rub around.

Here she be all plated with ratatouille and a baked tater aye found down in the galley.

Now it's time to haul my arse up the Bonaventure mizzen for a bit of shut eye.

Please accept this as my 1st of several Veteran entries to the Vets vs Noobies TD.

So, dwfisk as asking if Bandera clone folks cooked on the firebox top grate, so I figured I would give it another shot.

Loaded Earl up with some Stumps and some cherry chunks and got the fire piping hot (450F-ish).

Had marinaded some thighs and boneless skinless breasts in some Stubb's chicken marinade.

A7439C70-8CA6-4B9F-A79F-CD4D28E3C391.jpg

Then the fire was ready, I dusted the chicken with a mix of HDD and Butcher's Honey BBQ rub.

Threw the chicken on with some Possum Korn. Our guests and Tasha were intrigued by the sides I had cooked up this week.

532F81EC-11C0-46BA-9668-3FD80A0216FE.jpg

In about 15 minutes, the chicken had started to get some char from some flare ups, so I adjusted some vents and threw my heavy isolation plate on top of the fire backet to act as a deflector to finish the cook.

Once the chicken and corn finished, I had to pull a 3/16" thick, 20"x20" plate that had just spent 30 minutes soaking up the heat on top of the firebasket....that was an adventure!!!! I had to pull the plate to get some direct heat for the grilled romaine...see what I mean about them wanting to try my side adventures???

Here is the yard bird!

CF95C92A-9382-4F61-83A7-683532A37B13.jpg

The romaine...

0A29E21D-D881-4869-A5E8-CD140C909997.jpg

DB7F5874-A884-4E16-B23D-2FBE7CC6345B.jpg

And the money shot below! Please use this as my polling pic...

0150ADBB-8997-43B2-81F4-4A0BFB05DDCB.jpg

Back