Beef Back Rib Advice

anthropas

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm doing my first set of beef back ribs tonight and need advice. I've done a fair amount of pork ribs, but not beef. I'm planning on using a more salt & pepper based rub and staying away from the sugar since it's beef. I'm still planning to do them on my PBC, but am not sure what the temperature they're done at and if they need foiling or not. I typically do not crutch my ribs, but if they need it I can. Any recommendations or links to a good recipe or website would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Anthropas

I like 50/50 by weight K salt and cracked black pepper for beef. I don't foil normally. Hopefully you have some meaty back ribs - the meaty ones can be hard to find. As for doneness, I look for when a toothpick slides in and out with little to no resistance.

Hi GTR

Thanks. They're not that meaty, but I got all natural, grass-fed Angus beef back ribs for $2.50/pound which is cheaper than I've seen them in a long time so I thought there were worse ways to spend $8.

How long of a cook time do you think I'm looking at? Also, should I remove the membrane, leave it alone, or score it? Do you season the membrane side much?

Thanks again,

Anthropas

Full disclosure - it's been at least a year or so since I've done back ribs - I hold out for the chuck or plate ribs.

Anyway, length of time depends on temp - I think the PBC's cook at around 275? I'd start looking after a couple hours, esp. since they're not that meaty and they will be more lean due to being grass fed. Foiling at some point with beef broth or some such thing may not be a bad idea if you get concerned about the ribs getting dry.

I find that the membrane is thicker on beef ribs than pork ribs, so I always remove it.

Beef back ribs are the only thing I cook by time. 4hrs at just under 300 (290) they are repeatable every time. You do not need to foil them because they are very fatty and you want to get that fat rendered. Beef ribs also do well with a layer of baked on savory sauce for the last hour. run strips of bacon on the sides or they will dry out while the rack is cooking. You got a masterpiece right there.

I agree with pulling the membrane. I cook at 250-300 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 hours roughly. When probe tender and a lot of pullback. Temp is similar to brisket if I remember correctly. Wrap if desired. I have done naked and butcher paper. both were good. Salt and pepper should work fine as does most rubs for beef.

Beef backs are so good. No there is not alot of meat but there is a lot of bark, salty, peppery bark, almost jerky with delicious rendered fat. Save the bacon for breakfast.

We love the beef back plate ribs. I need to look for more...

For $9.98/# I'll pass. The dog will probably be pissed.

wow where do you geet beef backs, there around $2.50/lbs here.

Hi All,

I'm doing my first set of beef back ribs tonight and need advice. I've done a fair amount of pork ribs, but not beef. I'm planning on using a more salt & pepper based rub and staying away from the sugar since it's beef. I'm still planning to do them on my PBC, but am not sure what the temperature they're done at and if they need foiling or not. I typically do not crutch my ribs, but if they need it I can. Any recommendations or links to a good recipe or website would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Anthropas

I've done a few beef backs and the few tips I have are:

1.) Use a seasoning a long the lines of Montreal Steak. Avoid using sugars and the beef will stand on it's own with a nice crust.

2.) Cook the crap out of them. They are tougher than a lot of cuts and really suffer if you pull too early.

3.) Almost forgot. Don't wrap. No need.

Last edited:
I've been seeing these in the grocery stores here in SoCal too but have never tried them. Are the beef ribs that Q places like Aaron Franklin cooks the back ribs, or are they cut from further down the rib cage? The ones I see in the grocery stores now don't have much meat on them other than between the bones.

Back