Contest Announcment Friday Night Bites at Smokin on the Run - Miami, Oklahoma

gettinbasted

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
A contest within a contest is going down in a couple of weeks at the Smokin on the Run Shootout in Miami, Oklahoma (Thank you, David Qualls!). The challenge is to cook your best sausage fatty on a Gateway Drum (beg, borrow or steal one). The cost is $25 and it is winner takes all. Turn-in is 3 pm on Saturday.

I'm attaching the rules. Let me know if you have any questions. May the best fatty win!

Official Rules

The first rule of Bite Club is that there is no Bite Club. However, hypothetically, if there were to be a Bite Club, these are the rules.

All cooking must be performed exclusively on a Gateway Drum, unless otherwise specified at the contest.

Turn-in boxes will be provided before the contest begins. Garnish is optional, but it must be edible.

Each competitor will provide at least 6 portions to be judged. All portions must fit in the provided turn-in container unless otherwise specified.

Shigging is an art form that should be celebrated, and as such, is highly encouraged.

Using a fellow competitors Gateway Drum as a literal trash can is expressly prohibited, and if caught will result in disqualification.

The use of a “ringer”, while not against the rules, will be viewed with extreme disdain and incur a $10 “competition fee” that will be applied to the pot. (a ringer is a cook who is not on your team for that competition) If the ringer purchases a Gateway Drum after assisting, said fee will be waived.

A nominal entry fee of $25 American will be paid before cooking begins (cash only). Absolutely no IOUs

The prize purse will be 100% of the entry fee. Winner takes all. Second place is for losers. More importantly bragging rights and Gateway Drum swag will also be on the line!

Judges will be random locals that look hungry, non-competing cooks, or local dignitaries provided by the host competition’s organizer.

Sign-up will be after the cooks meeting or before the contest, each cook will supply their own ingredients

The main ingredient or theme will be announced well in advance of the event. You may treat this ingredient as you see fit within the rules

Each sample will be tasted by 6 judges and provided a score of 1-10 in three categories: appearance, taste, and overall impression of the entry. A score of 1 being spit it out bad, 5 being average, and 10 being outstanding. A multiplier of 1 will be applied to taste, .4 to appearance, and .6 to overall impression making for a maximum score of 20 from each judge. The lowest score will be tossed out making a total of 100 a perfect score.

In the event of a tie, the score of the 6th judge will be factored in. If it is still tied, I guess it was meant to be and will stay a tie. If the tie is for first place, the prize purse will be split. Any Gateway swag or trophies will either be sawed into the appropriate number of portions, or divided up by a simple game of roshambo where rock beats scissors, scissors beats paper, and paper beats rock. If the tie involves three or more parties, the roshambo will devolve into an “odd-man out” system whereas the person or persons with a minority throw are eliminated until the final two battle it out in the standard manner as stated above.

a standard 10 minute turn-in window of 5 minutes before, 5 minutes after the stated time will be followed. No tolerance. Late entries will not be judged.

Turn-in time will vary, but will be announced well in advance of the event.

Both the letter and the spirit of these rules shall be followed. If you aren’t sure if something is sure if something is legal, ask. We can’t think of everything!

Might have to check that out. I'm only about an hour from Miami. Hopefully it's not down wind of the mushroom farm!

I'm still on the FEC fad, still need to work through the Jambo fad before on get into the drum fad. But, hey, I'll apply to be a judge.

I'm still on the FEC fad, still need to work through the Jambo fad before on get into the drum fad. But, hey, I'll apply to be a judge.

Sounds good. We will get you judging. Just remember, Gateway Drums aren't a fad, they are a lifestyle!

Back