Two questions - One should I listened to the wife?

Steve81

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi, Top round was $1.99lb so bought a 3lb roast to make roast beef sandwiches. My wife suggested that I cut it in two so it will cook quicker. Thought it be juicer if left whole but did think about more surface area for rub and smoking. Do you cut roasts for faster cooks or leave it whole.

Second question is this done. My plan was to cook to IT 135-140 but it was 132.5 so I decided not to put it back in. Part of it does not look done?

Also poured the juices on top before smoking and thin washed some of the rub off and there is some white on the roast. The temp in the picture was 132.1 but it did climb a tiny bit.

Attachments

• 20181215_134045.jpg
    20181215_134045.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 361
  • 20181215_150042.jpg
    20181215_150042.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 361
First, I leave whole to help keep moisture in. Second, food guidelines say 145 (155 for hamburger) for beef. Up to individual, I like rare to med rare, so pull between 125 and 130 knowing it will go up more. Not saying its a good idea, just for everyone to decide, like jumping out of a perfectly good plane, not necessarily for everyone.

The cook finished 90 minutes ago and fired up the smoker. Going to re-dust the piece near the knife with rub and cook for 20-30 minutes.

Did the main coook at temp between 215 and 240 with mostly around 220-230 for 2hrs and 43min.

Will let the smoker get above 200 and put it in at the low range. Letting rub soak in now. Also as you can see had trouble identifying the grain of the meat.

Attachments

• 20181215_152225.jpg
    20181215_152225.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 346
  • 20181215_152727.jpg
    20181215_152727.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 346
First, I leave whole to help keep moisture in. Second, food guidelines say 145 (155 for hamburger) for beef. Up to individual, I like rare to med rare, so pull between 125 and 130 knowing it will go up more. Not saying its a good idea, just for everyone to decide, like jumping out of a perfectly good plane, not necessarily for everyone.

yup.
attachment.php

I'll update later, probably tomorrow as have to go out tonight. 20 minutes after resting was not long enough, only back to 96 degrees (while eating the temp fell to 160 and now around 235) and will wait till the morning to slice back up. Lesson learned. Also ate a sandwich while waiting. Sliced few a bit thick and a few pieces a bit chewy. Will cook to around 140 next time. Thanks Montana Jack and with the jumping out of perfectly good airplanes comment/analogy, could not resist on attaching my tattoo. Perhaps you saw it in the cattle call.

Last edited:
The meat was fine. The 145 guideline is for ground beef, not whole cuts like this.

As to cutting in half, it wouldn't hurt at all. But, it might not speed anything up either. Cook time is determined by the thickness of the roast across its shortest side. Say the roast was 12 inches from left to right, 10 inches front to back and 4 inches tall. The 4 inches would determine the cook time.

If you split the roast front to back, you'd end up with 2 chunks that were 6 inches x 5 inches but still 4 inches thick. Cook time wouldn't change. If you had split the roast left to right, each piece would be 12 inches long, 5 inches wide and still 4 inches thick. Again, same cook time. However, if you had split it so that you has 2 pieces that were 12x10 but 2 inches thick, that would reduce the cook time.

An easy way to visualize is to think about cooking a 1/4 lb hotdog. If you just cut some random length off the end, it doesn't change how long it will take to cook. Butterfly it in half, it will.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

You always should listen to the wife. Then do what you know is right and take your lumps if you need 2. Poor little 3lb roast- should have left it all together until it's final moments. :grin:

I like my beef roast at around 140*. Many, many folks will eat rare to med. rare in the 130-135* range. Just a little too rare for me. A little experimenting is always fun.

Again - the Meat is Cooked. No sense putting it back on to ruin it.
Heat slices quickly on a skillet or under a broiler if you want them hot again..

AND Beef is rare at 120 ish, 130 Medium rare ish. 145 is INCORRECT for beef.
Hockey Pucks, YES. Beef, no.

Looks good Sir and thank you for your service. I too served. Now I'm a retired guy who has done Temp control for a living for over 38 years now. Your malfunction is that you have a POS temp measuring device AND probably do not know how to use it properly.

Accurate temp control is the key. On a side note, you could have gone thinner with the slices if you know the proper meat grades to buy for the given application.

Looks good Sir and thank you for your service. I too served. Now I'm a retired guy who has done Temp control for a living for over 38 years now. Your malfunction is that you have a POS temp measuring device AND probably do not know how to use it properly.

Accurate temp control is the key. On a side note, you could have gone thinner with the slices if you know the proper meat grades to buy for the given application.

Thanks Toast and thanks for your service as well. My uncle, retired from the Air Force and is in Shreveport. Both cousins served, one through the Air Force Academy and one via Louisiana Tech and still flies for South West. Plan on visiting them on Columbus Day weekend when UMass visits LA Tech. Last time I was there was in 1976. Plan on retiring mid Summer. Definitely have a lot to learn and an issue with the meat slicing is being so rare it was moving around as I was cutting it. Since it's for sandwiches, think it will be ok and gave it a little wetting with Summer Baby Ray's.

Looking at the Maverick, but my daughter gave me a Grill Alert by Brooks. Don't like it, but she bought it for me so I'm using it. The Fireboard Extreme BBQ looks great, will be a while for that one. Definite like the cloud part, being water resistant and the ambient probes.

Thanks for everyone's comments.

Attachments

• 20181215_185816.jpg
    20181215_185816.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Eye round is usually a little tough but cutting it with the grain, like you did, will make it much more chewy. I hope they come out good.

The beef looks done enough for me.
The American standards for internal meat temperature are very conservative.
What you call medium, we (continental Europe) call done to well done ;)

Hope I am not opening a can of worms here....

Like the previous poster mentioned: I would have cut it against the grain. It will make it seem a lot more tender.

Looks great from here.
Thank you for your service!

I always listen to my wife... Don't forget to say Yes Dear...
Then I do what needs to be done.:roll:
(I do most of the cooking at our house)

Back