Judges wearing gloves?

I have been at two KCBS contests where a judge was wearing blue nitrile gloves while judging. At one the contest rep told the judge they could not wear gloves as the meat is presented to their hands. At the other contest, the contest rep had no problem with a judge wearing gloves while judging.
Your thoughts? Should judges wear gloves while judging barbecue?

Only if they plan to operate

Another thought, if someone has a skin problem or some other problem with the sanitation of his hands, I would prefer if he wore gloves......or stayed at home.

So I have a little touch of leprosy and you want to banish me to my house, eh? You evil, evil man. :boxing:

Well food workers should wear gloves when working with food, and especially if they have open wounds/sores on their hands. Ditto grocery checkers/baggers wearing gloves. If the guy had a open sore, I would think that he would want to keep sauce out of the wound. If I were a fellow judge, I would appreciate the person trying to keep germs out of the food I'm about to take some of.

Quite often there is a fork put in the box for the judge to use to remove the sample but not always. I recently sat beside a judge that talked about wanting gloves so his hands didn't smell like bbq. He was the one to complain when a fork wasnt given to remove the meat

Actually, the use of food grade gloves is not a bad idea. Being a judge/competitor/restaurant owner/et al, I would appreciate this gesture as it makes it easier to get the sample without contaminating the others in the box; makes it simpler to clean up after each round; eliminates the use of wet wipes which CAN affect the taste buds and shows an understanding of food safety and judging.

I, for one, cannot figure out why this would be a bad idea. Any help would be appreciated!

Because it won't go like you think it would. People will put gloves on, pull their samples, grab their pencil, grab their score sheet, scratch their ear, open their cooler, then between rounds, go to the can and keep wearing the same pair of gloves. They won't think twice about it because the gloves give the impression of protection.

There is a question on the practice tests for judges that is related to this. It has to do with whether a judge can use a fork while tasting the meat. The answer is no, they must use their hands to "feel" the meat. Forks can be used to pick meat out of the box. I see gloves the same way, use them for picking the meat out of a box but not when part of the tasting process. If judges can use gloves while tasting, forks can't be far behind.

It aint broke.. Dont fixit.

Gloves ??? Its barbeque.. Do you put on gloves when you pick up the food from the picnic table. If squeamish that is what the fork is for.

Whats next ? Hazmat suits ??

Quite often there is a fork put in the box for the judge to use to remove the sample but not always. I recently sat beside a judge that talked about wanting gloves so his hands didn't smell like bbq. He was the one to complain when a fork wasnt given to remove the meat

Musta been Canadian. :razz:

Did the judge clean or change gloves after getting or trying every sample? My fear would be cross contamination of sauces. That's why I always try to clean my hands good between touching any sample.

Did the judge clean or change gloves after getting or trying every sample? My fear would be cross contamination of sauces. That's why I always try to clean my hands good between touching any sample.

Yes, new pair of gloves for each category.

Back