North Texas Bash - Spring 2015 (New Location!!! - Please Read for More Information)

sliding_billy

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
**** Due to recent flooding in the DFW area, the state park where we were scheduled to have this bash has been closed indefinitely and the reservation cancelled. Address for the new location (Peeps' house) is below. Huge thanks to Peeps for letting us crash his place!!!****

Date - May 30, 2015

Location - 7808 Shoal Bend, Denton, TX 76210

Time - 6:00 AM (follow the smoke around to the back of the house) until ???

Attendees/Food List - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...UTh4RUhNzWXXlrjkMHE/edit?pli=1#gid=1508513576

Last edited by a moderator:
Early May sounds good. The 10th or so. We start risking some heat if it goes any further past that.

As I am expecting a baby girl in early April I am good with May sometime. I am also open to a new location / venue. We need to make a list of locations and get an idea of where everyone is coming from.

May works for me. Only thing currently on our calendar is the Red Dirt BBQ festival in Tyler May 2nd. Missed it last year and heard it was a blast.

http://reddirtbbqfest.com/

My work schedule is gonna be pretty much up in the air in early April and early May for a client's shutdown that I will have to support, so schedule it up and if I can make it, I will...

Bill, temps in the 70s this week so no telling what May weather will be.

Quick list of the Lakes in the metroplex - top three would be one of my choices. Not to far south, not to far north, east or west ... thoughts?

Lake Lavon
Lake Ray Hubbard
Lake Lewisville

Joe Pool Lake
Lake Tawakoni
Lake Grapevine
Lake Ray Roberts
Lake Texoma

Gerry, somebody mentioned Lake Whitney to maybe make it easier for our Central Texas Brethren in a previous thread. Texoma might get some of our neighbors from Oklahoma (cowgirl, Arlin, etc)

I'm good with wherever however if Lavon doesn't get some more water it might get renamed to Pond Lavon.

You guys pick a date and I'll be there! Lavon and Ray Hubbard are just about dust bowls these days Lewisville has water but tends to be really crowded but really what does the lake matter to us as long as we have room to cook and fellowship? I will say it's a longer trip but I'd love to see us have it somewhere we draw in some brethren from surrounding areas Be it north or south.

I am not as confident that we would be as welcome as we have been at the TPWD parks if we go elsewhere (Lavon is a Core of Engineers park for example). I think that Isle du Bois probably works the best if it is just DFW folks.

Hopefully, we will start to hear weather there is interest from out northern or southern brethren to see if it is worth making the move in one of those directions.

I am liking May 9 as a possibility. I'm not positive if I am going to Red Dirt this year, but there is a pretty good chance. I went last year, and it was a good time.

I am not as familiar with the CoE parks for things like this, either.

Texas state parks have great facilities, including power, lighting, immaculate restrooms (for parks), etc that make this thing easier and more welcoming for families, since let's be honest, if it were all dudes, we would just look for the nearest tree when nature called, but that isn't gonna fly with wives, girlfriends, kids, etc.

MHO, would be to keep it at a state park site.

State run I agree on. Sad thing is most lakes are down, a lOt. I ran up to Lavon and checked the powered pavilion and cost last night. It's in pretty good shape and plenty big. They have no issues with us bringing pits either.

I am going by Ray Hubbard to scout it tonight. Going by Lewisville Saturday. Not familiar with Lake Whitney, it's a bit of a drive for us so not been there.

I think we need more feedback from the Texas brethren and who wants to go before we can decided on a location.

Mid May I might have to miss--I'm out of town the 9th through the 17th. Also tied up April 11-12. Free the rest of the spring, but y'all don't plan around me.

It wouldn't be the same without you or Peeps Dave. Anybody have an issue with May 23? That seems to work based on your travel as well as Gerry's pending baby and Peeps' work schedule. It will be a little bit warmer, but I am sure nobody will feel sorry for us having to deal with the heat.

It wouldn't be the same without you or Peeps Dave. Anybody have an issue with May 23? That seems to work based on your travel as well as Gerry's pending baby and Peeps' work schedule. It will be a little bit warmer, but I am sure nobody will feel sorry for us having to deal with the heat.
That is Memorial Day weekend. Parks will be busy and many folks have standing annual plans.

I could probably make it work OK, though. Tasha is headed to NYC for that weekend, so it would just be me and Tyler...

Gerry, somebody mentioned Lake Whitney to maybe make it easier for our Central Texas Brethren in a previous thread. Texoma might get some of our neighbors from Oklahoma (cowgirl, Arlin, etc)

I'm good with wherever however if Lavon doesn't get some more water it might get renamed to Pond Lavon.

I've been to Whitney a few times, it's a nice place.
Just got home from a road trip to Galveston. Passed by Denton, and the Ray Roberts Lake area. Didn't have time to stop and check it out though.

Should have hollered at you Charles. :grin:

I've been to Whitney a few times, it's a nice place.
Just got home from a road trip to Galveston. Passed by Denton, and the Ray Roberts Lake area. Didn't have time to stop and check it out though.

Should have hollered at you Charles. :grin:
Ahem! :becky:

Back