• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

new smoker options

Newenglandbbqer

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Alright im hoping to get a part time job by the time im going back to school so I can finish getting the close to $700 that I need to pay for the initial costs of putting my truck on the road when I get my license and I am hoping that after that I can save up some more money to pick up a new smoker one that perferably is big enough to cook a decent size brisket or 2 and within a $1000 max budget. I have been looking at the yoder Cheyenne but I think thats a little past my budget so my question is what are some smokers within my budget and of a halfway decent size.

As the last guy said, someone would come along shortly and tell you to build a UDS. I'm that guy. I just built mine and I did it all (including a few tools I needed to buy) for around $500. It was a fun project. Can't wait to start using it.

I was at one point thinking of making a reverse flow offset with a 55 gallon drum and a very small cast iron wood stove but that idea kinda faded a little bit.

Another vote for WSM 22". You can easily cook 2x20lb briskets in it.

I built my UDS for about $141, no idea how you can spend $500 on one.
$30 barrel
$30 SS bolts.
$15 expanded metal.
$25 intake nipples, valve (could use refrigerator magnets for free)
$8 handles for lid and body.
$8 quart of Rustoleum matte black.

Add $25 for one grate (I had an extra).
Free pallets to burn it out.
Free grate from an old grill.

Go w/ a UDS for starters, just to bother those WSM guys.
Plus you look cooler.

I could build a uds on what I make now (80 a week give or take half goes into my insurance fund (gunna be 1800 or so triple what I bought my truck for) and the rest is spent) but man any one of the 1/4 inch offsets would be just killer

Buy a Pit Barrel Cooker. Under $300 and it is set and forget simple.

I built my UDS for about $141, no idea how you can spend $500 on one.

The actual smoker itself was around $280 by the time I bought all of the necessary fittings, bolts, pipes etc. I didn't have an old grill to use parts from so I had to buy a few Weber replacement racks. The final price tag that my wife came up with was high because she charged me for every last scrap of tape...I do mean everything...including charcoal, wood, chimney starter etc. (she's complains like that, but won't once she tastes the cooking). If you don't care how it looks, you can do it on the cheap. I made mine customized to my alma mater and spent extra on paint/primer to give it a professional look.

That smoker looked like something you would have taken to the moon during the Apollo missions.

The actual smoker itself was around $280 by the time I bought all of the necessary fittings, bolts, pipes etc. I didn't have an old grill to use parts from so I had to buy a few Weber replacement racks. The final price tag that my wife came up with was high because she charged me for every last scrap of tape...I do mean everything...including charcoal, wood, chimney starter etc. (she's complains like that, but won't once she tastes the cooking). If you don't care how it looks, you can do it on the cheap. I made mine customized to my alma mater and spent extra on paint/primer to give it a professional look.

Sounds like a cool UDS. Where are the pics! :shocked::becky:

To the OP, sounds like you may want an offset. If so just say that and these guys will put you right on track to where you wanna be.
If you are inexperienced, I'd stick to either the 18.5 WSM $299, 22.5 WSM $399, or a UDS $100-400 depending on how detailed you want it.
Some folks here might even say get the Char-Broiler Akron Kamado $300 as it can smoke as low as 225 or grill as high as 700. It works better in really cold weather but it's limited to one grill grate so you can't get as much meat in there. Probably only one brisket.
Having said all that you can never go wrong with a Weber product. New they can be a tad expensive as you can see from above but you will probably be able to use it for 30 years. You could also go used on Craigslist in which case many people have found wsm's for $100-150 in good condition.

Hope this helps!

I should clarify that my interests lie more in the relm of a stick burner like a yoder or one of similar quality, not that im not willing to look at other options. I would and could build my own if I felt I could stay in my price range but I feel it would be a better decision to purchase one given my tendency to waste money and never finish my project (primarily because I most likely wont get help from my father so there goes welder usage, its the rule my father has to be around to use the welder because im still only 16)

my father has to be around to use the welder because im still only 16)

Wow! Only 16! I think it's cool you want a smoker at 16 and even wanna go with the high end stuff! But in being a responsible adult, I would tell you to save your money and go with a cheaper option than what you will need to spend on a quality stick burner. That gets us back to a UDS or a WSM (look for a used one). Those smokers will give you awesome smoked meats. People use then in BBQ competitions all the time. You could even get a weber kettle ($150). That's what I have and it makes great smoked food. Not a dedicated smoker but still works very good for smoking.
Save your money and use it on your truck or gas or just to build up your savings. Trust me you'll thank me in a couple years if you do!

Wow! Only 16! I think it's cool you want a smoker at 16 and even wanna go with the high end stuff! But in being a responsible adult, I would tell you to save your money and go with a cheaper option than what you will need to spend on a quality stick burner. That gets us back to a UDS or a WSM (look for a used one). Those smokers will give you awesome smoked meats. People use then in BBQ competitions all the time. You could even get a weber kettle ($150). That's what I have and it makes great smoked food. Not a dedicated smoker but still works very good for smoking.
Save your money and use it on your truck or gas or just to build up your savings. Trust me you'll thank me in a couple years if you do!
I dont doubt just saving my money is a good idea but in the end I had already decided on spending money on either a small fishing boat and a motor or a nice smoker that will last me a lot longer than my other stuff and I decided on the smoker because it will bring me more pleasure cause I cook a lot more than I fish. I have 2 smokers, a cheapo propane unit and a brinkman verticle offset which I like the flavor of a real wood fire much better. I am an odd child and always have been, I got my gas smoker for christmas 2 years ago with a pair of Chippewa boots and a carhartt jacket, all of which has been well loved these 2 years.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have gotten a BGE. I am irrationally in love with it.

Back