• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BBQ Weight Loss Journey

Nice work there man. It is nice to see a normal guy lose that much weight doing something pretty normal. Normal meaning not a crash diet, not crazy workout, eating normal food. Especially BBQ food.

Wish I had the commitment to toss out bread and pasta. That would be tough for me.

Nice job again. That little one give you a workout I am sure.

...You on marksdailyapple?

GREAT website. Lots of great info, and the way he lays things out is not rigid or legalistic. It's just about living better.

To the O.P.: great job, brother! I'm currently in the 3 bills club, and my target is to get down to 199. 4 days in on low carb, moderate protein, and high fat. REAL food surely is the way to go. I really like one of your big motivators was doing this for your son. I have 5 kids, the youngest 9 years old: I need to be here and active for them, AND for grand-kids!

Want to say thanks to everyone... wasn't expecting the feedback... much appreciated. Y'all rock!

Wow AWESOME!!! I cut out the same crap too.

Side note...Were you in the Navy and did Westpacs?

I'm a foodie, and I am 5'11" and weigh 175 pounds, so you might think that I don't have to watch my weight. But, I have bird legs, and a belly, so I do.

I cook from scratch at home, but travel for weeks at a time, and when I travel, I eat restaurant food, and a lot of it is airport food. I gain 5 pounds easily when I go on the road for just a few days. A salad in a restaurant is worse than a cheeseburger I make at home.

The biggest change you can make in your diet, without sacrificing one iota of flavor, is to cook your food, from scratch. If you enjoy cooking, it is that much easier.

I can say absolutely, that you can eat well, and lose weight, if you eat right, and put just a little of effort into shopping well.

I think the OP really nailed it. Eating healthy doesn't mean you have to give up flavor. And, if you are just a little overweight, as I am, you don't have to go 100-percent paleo. Just cut back on the stuff that is putting you over where you want to be. Ditching "prepared" foods, AKA processed foods, is the biggest step, and IMO, the easiest step, if you really enjoy cooking and eating good food.

CD

Awesome story man, and thank you to whoever posted the marksdailyapple. I'm in the same boat as a few of you, i'm 26, right around 3 bills, and i just had heart surgery (not because of weight, a genetic issue). I love food though... It is very hard where i live to get good and healthy food all year long, as our winters are brutal (70 days below freezing in a row, 56 days below 0*F for the winter). Also makes working out without getting a gym membership tough for the 5-6 months of winter we get. By my birthday next june, i hope to be under 200 pounds for the first time since probably middle school. You guys are good inspiration!

WHO IS ON THE RIGHT?

welldone. This is the right way to take care of yourself. As you wrote you will add some daily spirt/ phisical exercise. That is the best!

Hardest part or change we've had to make is where and how we eat out ... adopted a couple simple rules that have made it easier though.

1. Under no circumstances do we hit Fast Food chains like McDonald's, Burger King, etc.
2. We split a meal
3. We get water (w/lemon) to drink - saves on sugars and saves an average of $3 to $4
4. If possible, no breaded or fried.

Truth be told though, we prefer eating at home or making meals and taking them with us. Tastes better, eats better, and is way healthier.

I'm a foodie, and I am 5'11" and weigh 175 pounds, so you might think that I don't have to watch my weight. But, I have bird legs, and a belly, so I do.

I cook from scratch at home, but travel for weeks at a time, and when I travel, I eat restaurant food, and a lot of it is airport food. I gain 5 pounds easily when I go on the road for just a few days. A salad in a restaurant is worse than a cheeseburger I make at home.

The biggest change you can make in your diet, without sacrificing one iota of flavor, is to cook your food, from scratch. If you enjoy cooking, it is that much easier.

I can say absolutely, that you can eat well, and lose weight, if you eat right, and put just a little of effort into shopping well.

I think the OP really nailed it. Eating healthy doesn't mean you have to give up flavor. And, if you are just a little overweight, as I am, you don't have to go 100-percent paleo. Just cut back on the stuff that is putting you over where you want to be. Ditching "prepared" foods, AKA processed foods, is the biggest step, and IMO, the easiest step, if you really enjoy cooking and eating good food.

CD

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
What does one of your "cheat days" consist of?

Cheat day may include a No Sugar Added Klondike Bar, a 1/2 cup serving of organic pasta, or 1/2 cup of rice, might be an actual hamburger, it really depends on my mood. I found though that if I am really craving a food that I usually don't eat, I WILL NOT eat it on my cheat day. Eating it just makes the craving worse.

One of my go to cheats is either Buffalo Wild Wings Traditional Mango Habanero OR some of my wife's home made Banana / Blue Berry muffins.

Last cheat day was at a Baby Shower ... I brought BBQ ... enjoyed 3 pieces of Brisket, 1 Rib, macaroni & cheese, 1 cup cake, and some lemonade. I felt really lethargic after that though ...

You would be surprised the amount of food you can eat, that is good for you, and still stay under 1200 calories. There are days I struggle just to hit 1000.

What does one of your "cheat days" consist of?

Cheat day may include a No Sugar Added Klondike Bar, a 1/2 cup serving of organic pasta, or 1/2 cup of rice, might be an actual hamburger, it really depends on my mood. I found though that if I am really craving a food that I usually don't eat, I WILL NOT eat it on my cheat day. Eating it just makes the craving worse.

One of my go to cheats is either Buffalo Wild Wings Traditional Mango Habanero OR some of my wife's home made Banana / Blue Berry muffins.

Last cheat day was at a Baby Shower ... I brought BBQ ... enjoyed 3 pieces of Brisket, 1 Rib, macaroni & cheese, 1 cup cake, and some lemonade. I felt really lethargic after that though ...

You would be surprised the amount of food you can eat, that is good for you, and still stay under 1200 calories. There are days I struggle just to hit 1000.

Sir--thank you for this. I sincerely appreciate your wisdom, encouragement, and guidance. Like a very large majority of us on this forum, I too need to adjust my lifestyle for myself, my wife and daughter, and my family and friends. I too want to be around for a long time!

I do have to comment on something that is very personal to me, and I believe that it is important to your situation. One of my very best friend's wife made a major lifestyle change about 2 years ago. She too began eating fresh, non-modified foods and eliminating sugar and white starches. She lost a lot of weight and really began feeling quite lethargic at the same time. Her doctor always checked her blood levels (sugar/blood cells/etc) and things seemed to be "within range" but always skewed to he higher side. With that being said, there really was no cause for alarm. Fast forward to June of this year and she goes in to have a mamogram that revealed a lump in her breast. Things were investigated--while using a full body scan--to determine that the lump was fine. What they didn't know was that there was a very large and very unruly mass in her stomach. Biopsy reveals that she now has a very aggressive, non-operable, and non-curable type of stomach cancer. Her expectancy is less than 5 years-at best-but may be less than 2.

I write this to not imply that the changes you have made will give you cancer. I write to let you--and everyone else reading this--that if you do make this change (which I honestly plan on doing), please, PLEASE, PLEASE, make sure that you consult with your doctor and have things monitored. The worst thing that happened to my friend was that she just happened to make a lifestyle change right at the same time as the cancer started masking her progression. It is very sad knowing that she worked so hard just to have found it to be something else.

So now that I have brought everyone down......I am so happy for you! Congrats and I would love to see a side-by-side picture of your progress!!

Nice job on the change! It's awesome how having little ones will motivate you to get it together - worked for me too! I dropped around 40# a couple years back doing a similar type deal. I've done a fair amount of traveling this summer and eating like maniac. I just got back yesterday so today is the day I'm back on track. As much as I enjoyed going crazy on the eating, I've been looking forward to going back to what are now my normal eating habits - sticking mainly to meat/veg/fruit and leaving the processed and starchy stuff out. Thanks for posting!

GMDGeek, congratulations brother. My father is a large man as well, and had the same realization as you, that he wanted to get to know his grandkids and not just be the old big guy in the house sweating while sitting still. He has not had nearly the same success as you. I am gonna refer him to your thread for a little motivation, so that he can see that loosing weight does not require him to starve. Thanks!

Couldn't agree more - consult your doctor. Have a full series of tests done ... not just a full physical. My mom passed away at the age of 58 from obesity, congestive heart failure, and a stroke. My pops passed away at the age of 62 three days before my son was born from obesity, high blood pressure, and developing Colon Cancer due to poor eating habits. Cancer today rears itself in many different ways. Some times it is hereditary and others its from life style.

My nutritionist and my physician have me in every 90 days for blood work and every 6 months for stress tests. Because of my family history, I get a full check for Cancer every year. I am lucky to have good insurance but would do it with or without.

I also take the following:
Morning: Multivitamin & an Omega 3
Mid Day: B12 disprovable & Iron
Night: Calcium & D3

They wanted me to add Fish Oil but I opted for just adding an extra serving of Fish to my diet each week. You need to be careful of what vitamins / supplements you use. Some are good and some are crap!

Same thing with foods ... example red meat gets a super bad rap. Reason we went organic is to be able to get meats like our grandparents used to eat... not all this stuff called meat pumped full of GMO and Anti-Biotics.

Loomis I wish your friend the best and will keep them in our prayers.

Sir--thank you for this. I sincerely appreciate your wisdom, encouragement, and guidance. Like a very large majority of us on this forum, I too need to adjust my lifestyle for myself, my wife and daughter, and my family and friends. I too want to be around for a long time!

I do have to comment on something that is very personal to me, and I believe that it is important to your situation. One of my very best friend's wife made a major lifestyle change about 2 years ago. She too began eating fresh, non-modified foods and eliminating sugar and white starches. She lost a lot of weight and really began feeling quite lethargic at the same time. Her doctor always checked her blood levels (sugar/blood cells/etc) and things seemed to be "within range" but always skewed to he higher side. With that being said, there really was no cause for alarm. Fast forward to June of this year and she goes in to have a mamogram that revealed a lump in her breast. Things were investigated--while using a full body scan--to determine that the lump was fine. What they didn't know was that there was a very large and very unruly mass in her stomach. Biopsy reveals that she now has a very aggressive, non-operable, and non-curable type of stomach cancer. Her expectancy is less than 5 years-at best-but may be less than 2.

I write this to not imply that the changes you have made will give you cancer. I write to let you--and everyone else reading this--that if you do make this change (which I honestly plan on doing), please, PLEASE, PLEASE, make sure that you consult with your doctor and have things monitored. The worst thing that happened to my friend was that she just happened to make a lifestyle change right at the same time as the cancer started masking her progression. It is very sad knowing that she worked so hard just to have found it to be something else.

So now that I have brought everyone down......I am so happy for you! Congrats and I would love to see a side-by-side picture of your progress!!

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Back