What is your favorite skirt steak Marinade

tonyjohnson619

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Just picked up 3 pounds of skirt steak from Aldi for 10 dollars. What is everyones favorite way to do skirt? Just look for some new ideas outside our normal fajita stuff

Honestly, I just keep it simple. Salt & Pepper both sides, marinate in Italian for 1/2 hour or so, sear super hot, let rest 5 minutes, slice against the grain on a bevel. Serve with who-the-hell-cares-yum-steak :-D

I usually do a few at a time. I use this for the family..I like it and so does everyone else.

stubbs.jpg

Then I usually make one spicy for me and the father in law..I love this stuff. I will usually add some crushed red pepper to it also.

hot marinade.jpg

Last edited:
Just picked up 3 pounds of skirt steak from Aldi for 10 dollars. What is everyones favorite way to do skirt? Just look for some new ideas outside our normal fajita stuff

Since you already took normal fajita stuff out of the equation . . . worcestershire, balsamic, olive oil and lots of fresh garlic. Fiddle with the ratios until it smells right.

Tony-

I don't bother marinating skirt steaks. Just salt and pepper and onto a hot grill. I serve with a chimichurri sauce- I just take a basic chimichurri recipe like the one I linked below and add hot chilis and some citrus (orange, lime or lemon juice plus zest) and always extra garlic. It's not 100% traditional Argentine but the chili and citrus make it fantastic. :hungry:

https://www.chowhound.com/recipes/argentine-chimichurri-sauce-28393

Tom

Edit- if I do marinate I just use the Mojo Criollo in the bottle.

I worked a Pappacitos Cantina in college over 10 years ago and I still use their fajita marinade recipe and everyones loves it. I sounds weird but its actually fantastic

2 parts Pineapple Juice
1 part soy sauce
*****I add several cloves of minced garlic

If you don't marinade, how do you get it tender at high heat? Not trying to hi-jack but I thought it would be tuff otherwise.

To the OP, my Wife uses some mixture which contains lime juice from some recipe she's had since 1985.

Texas Fajita Champion Charley Alcala. This recipe goes back to the origin of the Fajita - the early to mid 1970s.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UhYDBmrt6k"]Pitmaster T's Video Recipe Series - Fajita Marinaide and Prep Inspired by Charlie Alcala - YouTube[/ame]

I don't marinate steak typically but I did always like Dales. Gotta go low sodium though or it turns out WAY too salty in my opinion.

I've gotta go with an old favorite (potential old URL: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/06/spice-rubbed-grilled-skirt-steak-recipe.html)

2 tablespoons cumin
2 tablespoons ancho chili powder
2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon cinnamon
8 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup olive oil

Mix this up in a bowl - I usually add enough oil for the mixture to be pretty liquid, but not chunky - recipe says it covers up to 6 lbs of skirt steak... Shoot. I've just used "whatever I need" of this lovely mixture on a piece of meat or two.

Enjoy!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/skirt-steak-recipe-2014004
I can't think of a time we've served this and weren't asked for the recipe. A year after passing it along to my business partner, they still rave about it and cook it regularly.
We use the marinade as written (with a little more red pepper flake) and cook over the highest heat possible to mid rare. Sliced thin against the grain. Most times much of it doesn't make it to the fajita as our crowd gathers at the slicing...

I use Moore's marinade,a lot of people say it is the same as Dale's,it does taste about the same. I put it in a plastic bag with the marinade and lay it on the counter for an hour flipping it occasionally.That brings it to room temperature,then on the grill cooking to 135. Sliced thin against the grain. It will be melt in your mouth tender.

Inner or outer skirt?

If I marinade (inner) skirt I just use EVOO and lots of fresh, smashed garlic. Then a healthy season of S&P before it goes on a hot grill.

I usually don't buy outer skirt, but if I do I'll just do a rub, grill hot and chop the fark out of it for fajitas. Have toothpicks or floss on hand for afterwords.

As mentioned, sliced thin against the grain makes all the difference with inner.

Back