cant search? Need advice on how much meat to buy

sirk98

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Apologies, but the search function says I dont have permission to use it..? Not sure whats up with that..

Basically, I am throwing my first 'legit' BBQ this weekend. Expect 40-50 adults, and an unknown amount of kiddos.

I am trying to find the yardstick measure for how much meat I need to cook. Ie: 1lb pork butt raw per person?

Plan on making pulled pork, ribs and spatchcock chicken...

Hi everyone

Apologies, but the search function says I dont have permission to use it..? Not sure whats up with that..

Basically, I am throwing my first 'legit' BBQ this weekend. Expect 40-50 adults, and an unknown amount of kiddos.

I am trying to find the yardstick measure for how much meat I need to cook. Ie: 1lb pork butt raw per person?

Sure you can search...

From our FAQ (Link in the blue menu bar up top)...

Where is the SEARCH and NEW POST feature.
The standard search is at the bottom of the forum. Its uses the google search engine but only searchs our forum and is available to everyone with or without a subscription. The expanded search is included with subscriptions and is on the blue menu bar. It allows extended searching with advanced options, boolean searching, search by date, members, etc. A subscription must be purchased to activate the advanced search feature but the bootom google search is available to all members

Hi everyone

For ribs, figure a 3-bone portion per person. You can get 4 portions out of a typical rack.

For pork, figure 1/4 pound cooked per person and use 50% yield, so that would be 1/2 pound raw weight per person.

Spatchcock chicken is harder wince there are different pieces in there (breast, leg, wing, thigh). With the other meats I would be tempted to cook enough to give each person a piece, but then you run into the white meat vs. dark meat lovers. I hate to disappoint people, so I would probably cook twice as much as I really need :-D

With briskets over $120 each near me, I'll pass on the briskets ;)

I am thinking that I will simplify my life and drop the ribs. I'll plan on 6 butts and 5 chickens plus hot dogs for the kiddos...

With briskets over $120 each near me, I'll pass on the briskets ;)

I am thinking that I will simplify my life and drop the ribs. I'll plan on 6 butts and 5 chickens plus hot dogs for the kiddos...

Man, that will never fly down here in Texas. Lol.

Back