40 Gallon offset build

newtwoq

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So this guy followed me home yesterday!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

It's a heavy beast and took 4 guys to load it on my trailer (a huge thanks to akoda who was one of the 4 guys), though I think most of that weight was coming from the pump and motor sitting on top! It's not quite as thick walled as I would have hoped at 5/32" (was hoping for closer to 1/4"), but it was the perfect size for what I wanted. This will be converted into a backyard offset smoker, al la Aaron Franklin style! The tank is roughly 48"x20" at 40 gallons and using Feldon's calculator will require aprox. a 20x15x15" firebox putting it at 145% (too big?).

I'm excited to get going on this project, but there are a few things I need to do first. I need to put together the shop hoist I got from HF to get it off the trailer and generally be able to move it around. I need to take the pump and motor off. I need to get a grinder. And lastly but most importantly I need to learn how to weld haha. Some may say that I should know how to weld prior to taking something like this on, but I have confidence in myself and figure that this is the perfect kind of project to learn on! Worst case I farm it out to a local welder. I am shooting for it being completed sometime next summer or fall just working on it as I have a few spare mins.

I'm sure I will have a ton of questions as this thing progresses!

Last edited:
My first welding project was a 500 gal tank, you will be fine. Just make sure to learn the safety aspects of welding prior to actually welding. Good luck

Sorry guys, I forgot I can't link them from where I had them! They should now be added.

Shenco, if that was your first welding experience you give me hope that I can actually pull this think off haha.

Akoda, how's your back this morning old guy?

You want to learn to weld, best thing is to start on something that is steel, and that you will want to have around.

Looks like a good project for you.
Practice your welding on scrap for a while before you start on the offset.
If you removed the pump & motor, you might be able to move the tank without buying a hoist.

That is gonna make a great backyard cooker, perfect size. Couple of thoughts:

Learning to weld can be fun. Once you get a welder, I suggest you read the books and internet stuff but most important get a bunch of similar thickness steel and practice. I will come pretty quickly.

On the firebox size, unless you cut your own, remember most splits are about 16 inches long so even it seems too big I would make the width the same as the tank, the length enough to handle the splits and the height at 15" sounds OK. If I understand Franklin's book and his thoughts on airflow & convection, an oversized firebox can't hurt you none.

Let us know if you need any help finding hardware (hinges, dampers, etc).

I'm all subscribed up, this is gonna be fun!

dwfisk, Thanks for the information on the FB. I do plan on procuring my own splits which makes things easier, but I want to keep in mind if I want to get splits from an outside source as well. I agree I think I can easily manage this build once having the basics down. I agree on practicing on some scrap of similar size prior to going to town on the real thing!

I got my 2-ton lift put together yesterday while the practice turkey was on the smoker!

picture.php

Dwfisk is 100% right about practicing on same thickness scrap. I have been welding for many years and I still start on scraps to get the welder adjusted correctly. Can't wait to watch your progress!

Also, read and understand duty cycle and electrical power requirements for your welder. It will make things easier if you understand what loads your welder can handle. I was also taught that metal prep was just as important as torch skills. Clean metal edges and good fit makes welding easier

Ok first question of many to come. I'm thinking I want to remove all the plugs on the tank and weld in blanks to make a clean body. I'm assuming that Oxy/Acetylene will be the easiest manor to remove them. As I don't have an O/A torch, is there another method? I thought about using a bi-metal hole saw, but with the plug removed, there would be no way to center the bit. If needed an O/A torch will be on the Christmas list this year.

I will be stealing this idea for how to fill them in though! Thanks dwfisk!

Ok first question of many to come. I'm thinking I want to remove all the plugs on the tank and weld in blanks to make a clean body. I'm assuming that Oxy/Acetylene will be the easiest manor to remove them. As I don't have an O/A torch, is there another method? I thought about using a bi-metal hole saw, but with the plug removed, there would be no way to center the bit. If needed an O/A torch will be on the Christmas list this year.

I will be stealing this idea for how to fill them in though! Thanks dwfisk!

I just use a high speed angle grinder with a cutoff blade, thats how the ones in the example above were done.

Edit: Most fittings are actually an insert welded into the tank so in addition to the fitting you see on the outside, there is usually a portion of the insert inside the tank. I usually don't bother with that part, but an angle ginder w/cutoff blade will work fine on the inside too if they are in the way.

Well, I got it off the trailer last night, the lift worked out great!

picture.php

Next will be pulling the motor off, cleaning up the pump and pulling it off, then cleaning up the tank a bit.

Thoughts on a 4.5" vs 6" angle grinder?

Back