• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Yoder vs Lang

DanB

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Hi All I've been looking at the Lang 36 Patio and the Yoder Cheyenne. Started looking at the Lang , but shipping was way up there, now looking at the Yoder.
Any thoughts about these two smokers from those who have them?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks DanB
PS Any one in the Red White & Que/Cresskill competion will be using either one?

Never cooked on either but I have an uncle who has BBQ'd for years and swears by his Lang. What's the price difference between the 2 with shipping?

Prices

Hi The Lang is $300.00 more then Yoder. The difference is in the shipping basically. The Lang is 608 lbs, while the Yoder is 365 lbs
Thanks DanB

They'll cook a little different since the Lang is reverse flow and the Yoder is direct. I've only ever glazed over Yoders in person as I haven't been around many, but been up close and personal with many Langs. Lang is a great cooker and I would be happy getting the Lang without too much up and close with the Yoder. Both manufacturers make some nice looking stuff.

That direct vs reverse is something to think about.

Shipping

Hi All I was leaning towards the Lang, but the shipping to North NJ is $500.00, which is 1/2 the price of the pit. I just can't wrap my head around that.
Thanks DanB

Hi, I don't know if my 2 cents will be of any help as I have never used either one but the big thing that stands out to me is 608 vs 365. I would guess that all that extra mass would be a very good thing. If you are leaning towards the Lang...GO WITH IT! (You will soon forget about the "extra" $300.)

I myself look at it this way. If you got either, they'd each last a lifetime...especially the Lang. I realize it's a lot of money for shipping, but you will own it until you want to get rid of it or you great great great grandkids decide to scrap it.

shipping

Hi Like I said before, for some reason I just can't get over the shipping charge.
Thanks DanB

Dan.. I am one of the few that agree with you. I would be more likely to put the extra $300 towards a present for the wife as part of the negotiation process. The other thing I keep coming back to is Aaron Franklin seems to prefer direct over reverse flow. I am curious which way you go.. keep me posted!

DanB, silly question, maybe, but....are there any builders of similar styles closer to you?

Dan.. I am one of the few that agree with you. I would be more likely to put the extra $300 towards a present for the wife as part of the negotiation process. The other thing I keep coming back to is Aaron Franklin seems to prefer direct over reverse flow. I am curious which way you go.. keep me posted!

He said that's only because he's used to cooking on his. He says the same thing about other types as well.

I had this debate myself last month. I was going for the Lang as there seems to be a lot of love round here for Lang but I discovered a local outdoor furniture place that had yoders in stock so I went to look and ended up buying a floor model yoder Wichita loaded for less than the cost of a Lang patio 36 model.

At this point I am have no regrets with my purchase. The yoder is a substantial bbq and will last longer than me. The workmanship is top notch. I am sure the Lang is a great bbq but the yoder is a great choice.

Hi All I was leaning towards the Lang, but the shipping to North NJ is $500.00, which is 1/2 the price of the pit. I just can't wrap my head around that.
Thanks DanB

Have you tried shopping the shipping rates a bit?
Kind of sounds like you've made your mind up and are waiting for someone to tell you what you want to hear. Let me be the first to tell you "get the Yoder".

For the next 10 years you're cooking the nagging question will always remain "what would've it been like with the Lang"? In that 10 years the 300 bucks would equate to 30 bucks a year a little over a dollar a month.

Builders

DanB, silly question, maybe, but....are there any builders of similar styles closer to you?

Hi I e-mailed a custom metal shop close by, that had smokers on there website.
His reply that to build some thing like either smoker,would cost more then the price I showed him.
Thanks DanB

shipping rates

Have you tried shopping the shipping rates a bit?
Kind of sounds like you've made your mind up and are waiting for someone to tell you what you want to hear. Let me be the first to tell you "get the Yoder".

For the next 10 years you're cooking the nagging question will always remain "what would've it been like with the Lang"? In that 10 years the 300 bucks would equate to 30 bucks a year a little over a dollar a month.

Hi I tried an online acution for shipping rates most were the same and some were higher.
Thanks DanB

I have the Lang 36 and paid just about the same to have it shipped. I paid almost the same for my Humphrey's as well. Don't have any experience with a Yoder but love my smokers. I think it's a necessary evil. Go with the Lang. Good Luck!

Like was said before, reverse flow and direct cooking are different types.

If I were having such a difficult time in deciding between the two, I'd find someone with a reverse flow and cook with them on it since I'm sure you've already cooked on a direct heat cooker.

Price seems to be a matter to you as well. But in my opinion get what you enjoy cooking on or you'll regret it

I am not sure how the Horizon smokers compare to the Yoder's. It seems I read that Yoder's are from someone who was with original OK Joe and that Horizon is owned by OK Joe's original owner's Brother. But Bass Pro Shops are carrying the Horizon. If they are comparable, there are 2 Pro shops in NJ and shipping would be free to the store. Good luck on your choice.

Back