Where to put probe?

Ham14

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I decided to just smoke on my kettle since I have the assassian. In the past when I smoked on the kettle I just sat the lid over my maverick wires. Is there a better place or way to get the probes in the kettle so I dont crush my wires. Got to sell the drum now but I enjoy cooking on my Weber.

Would it matter if you put it threw the top of the lid?

I have but but it is a PIA when you want to get in there and then close it again, I will do the grinder slot mod next

I have a new Dot from Thermoworks. I'm careful about setting the lid back on. I have a hard time thinking about a modifying a kettle after 37 years that has lasted so long.

Selling the UDS? Why are you giving up on it, after so few cooks?

Well, I had high hopes on it but I think the charcoal basket is to small and not getting enough air to it for hot and fast cooking. If I cooked low and slow I would be great but I got it to 350 for about an hour and it shot down to 275 and stayed. I opened all vents and at one point took everything out to stir the charcoal around. So much ash sitting in basket and not falling in pizza pan I got bolted. I question a few things. One I was using really cheap Walmart brand coal. Then I question should I get longer bolts to raise the basket higher from the pan for more room. I'll post pick of basket in just a few

E019C000-918D-4045-A7AC-7D04BC8939FA_zpsaf3vnkcp.jpg

9285D026-66B8-40E4-B423-741CE84DDD55_zps3v8plpwl.jpg

Lump charcoal makes less ash and burns much hotter than briquettes. Just my .02

So I have been looking around the web and see people drilling and putting there probes through a grommet. If I did this what size would I need for the maverick 732 probes to both fit and what all would I need to buy to make this happen? How safe is it to drill through a Weber without cracking it also? Thanks for any help on this

When i did use the mav probe for kettle cooks i did so with no mods. The lid never damaged the wire in over 2 years

Ninja I believe you have given me my answer. I believe I got my maverick in 2012 when all I cooked on was my kettle. I just ran them under the lid with know problems and I still have the same set. Why change something when there is know problem. Thanks

I always use the top vent for my ThermoWorks probe. I just unplug the thing and let it dangle while I reload fuel . I did attach about 4" of baling wire to the handle to hold the cable up off the dome.

Back