Leftovers at a party? Etiquette?

Aceman

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm going to have about 12 people over next Saturday night. There's about 12lbs of pulled pork, 3 racks of loin backs (I'll cut these into individuals) corn on the cob a salad and dessert. I probably don't need all the pp to come out. I'll probably have leftovers, right? I'd feel awkward telling them to bring containers, especially if there's nothing left. Otoh, is it rude of me to not offer anyone leftovers? I never really thought about this!

No. It is your food. As guests they are entitled to eat what you offer, not clean out your larder.

My bride is in a once monthly Bunco/supper club. Some put the food away immediately (Bunco talk for no doggy bags) some put out zip lock bags and encourage folks to take all they want. My Bride is in the latter category. She kind of makes a to go station. Bag it/go and enjoy.

Either way I think it's polite for the host to make their wishes known.

Last edited:
I host a lot of parties/ get togethers. For the big ones: Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, etc.. I tell people to bring their own Tupperware for leftovers. No tupperware, no leftovers. You aint takin mine! But I plan on people taking it home.
For the weekend BBQ's and random parties, I don't offer leftovers. If someone asks I will send them home with some but I try not to advertise that either.
Not rude at all.

Mixed feelings on this:

One on hand, you opened your home to guests, and so you should expect them to take home food (I'd be upset if mine didn't for two reasons: one, that would tell me they thought it sucked, and two, that would tell me they thought it sucked). Where I come from, you make the offer.

OTOH, it is your food, and you would like to have a ltttle snacky snack later on.

My compromise: Stash some of it before you serve it. Everybody wins.

Man I'm a straight up blunt person. If I was to host a party, I wouldn't let anyone take left overs. They eat what they want while they are at my house that's fine. They can eat all of it, that's fine! But when it comes to left overs, its staying with me.

I love left overs, I will eat left overs for days. saves me time and money for the next couple days. I don't think it is rude at all if you allow them to come in your house and eat all they want anyways before they leave. The left overs are fair game for you to keep

If there's a lot of left overs that my family can't eat in a couple days, we offer it up. If there is pretty much scraps, they are packaged up and put away. That is the main course. If someone brings sides and we offer up leftovers, usually they return the favor with their sides. To me there has to be give and take. It's hard for me to justify people coming over, not bringing sides, and taking leftovers and not leaving any for the host.

My wife and I like to plan parties with guests bringing sides and the menu known for all attending. We cook enough for leftovers and we tell the guests to bring their own containers.

My wife and I host many parties at our house and they always feature my smoked/grilled meats. I may send people home with leftover deserts/apps/sides but when it comes to the mains (especially pulled pork and ribs) I keep those... vacuum seal them and into the chest freezer they go for quick/easy meals during the work week. Personally I love grabbing a pound of (leftover) pulled pork out of the freezer and pan-fyring it on high heat in a non-stick pan and making gringo style carnitas tacos. Just my 2 cents.

But for guests to ASK for leftovers... that is rude. I agree with that 100%.

I'm with poorolddan about the pet thing. I get kinda upset when all the time and money I spend goes home with someone for dog food.

I host a lot of parties/ get togethers. For the big ones: Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, etc.. I tell people to bring their own Tupperware for leftovers. No tupperware, no leftovers. You aint takin mine! But I plan on people taking it home.
For the weekend BBQ's and random parties, I don't offer leftovers. If someone asks I will send them home with some but I try not to advertise that either.
Not rude at all.

This is what I do as well, unless there is a ton of food leftover that is going to end up in the garbage. Although, this summer I did send a very appreciative young lady home with a bottle of homemade bbq sauce and a container of pulled pork after she said how much she enjoyed it.

Go to costco / restaurant depot and buy those white foam take-out containers. They aren't expensive and when you have extras take the boxes out and tell everyone to help themselves

I have a huge family; traditionally we all encourage take homes at our gatherings. It's just me and my wife at home, so we keep those Styrofoam clamshell containers for folks to take food home in when I host a cookout. There is always someone who is at work, sick at home or just couldn't away. I appreciate folks who appreciate my barbecue. My wife always puts enough aside for us to nibble on thru out the week.

Let me re-phraze.... Only family asks for leftovers. Then I don't think of it as rude. Family gets a pass. For an 'otherwise' guest, I agree it is a bit rude to ask for leftovers.
And Hell no to feeding your dog with it!

I'd never ask people to bring containers to take stuff home personally. Either supply some disposable container (I do Ziplocs normally) or just keep it for yourself IMO.

Like a lot of others, I over cook rather than take a chance on not enough. If someone asks for some Q to take home, I'm flattered and gladly accommodate. Other than that, we have a food saver vacuum sealer and nothing ever goes to waste.

Back