For those who cook legs in comp turn ins

GreenDrake

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have been messing with the idea and trying out some batches...but aside from doing a couple dozen legs to get a good six that don't "lollipop" on you, what's the trick to keeping the meat from pulling up the bone on half the dang things? I am all for getting outside the box, thighs are the great satan, but seem to be working okay for now. What's the leg secret?

Sounds like you are overcooking the legs if the meat is pulling away from the bone.

A lot of teams around here turn in legs, not lollipops-save those for an appetizer.

At home I play around with the Rib-O-Lator and the Bayou Classic Wing and Leg Racks.

IMG_1857.jpg

IMG_2225.jpg

What internal temperature do you cook your legs to? Connective tissue collagen begins to dissolve to gelatin. Melting of collagen starts to accelerate at 160F and continues rapidly up to 180F. If you hold it between 160F and 180F for too long the tenons deteriorate as the collagen breaks down. Since the muscle tissue shrinks during the cooking process this causes a lot of tension on the tendons. Once the collagen starts to render into gelatin, the tendons can break loose and cause your chicken leg lollipop.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

Do you get bite thru skin with that bayou hanger? Im gonna do legs in new holland in 2 weeks. Never done them before t a contest. They most likely will tank but dont care

Do you get bite thru skin with that bayou hanger? Im gonna do legs in new holland in 2 weeks. Never done them before t a contest. They most likely will tank but dont care

you can if you treat it like a thigh... sigh, yuck stupid comp chicken...

Gonna do some test legs again this weekend on the Traegers....here we go again. Hey Brian, see you again next month at the Skewered Apple, yes?

Back