2nd Smoker ~ Cant Decide!

NascarFanTom19

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have a Lang 84 smoker and I'm going on 3 years using it. I use nothing but cherry wood. I love the idea of cooking with wood. I always say Real wood Real Flavor. I use my smoker to sell bbq at street fairs and festivals and I have done events that Ive had it 100% full for 48 hours. Staying awake all night can be tough at times when you work the whole day also so I always thought about buying a second cooker that was easy. I never wanted a Pellet smoker as none were big enough. But Yoder just released the yoder cimarron pellet. Now thats a bif pellet smoker. If I ever bought a pellet smoker it would be the cimarron smoker as it holds 2200 square inches of meat. But now I have a smoker that looks real cool but its pellets. Im not using real wood anymore. If I bought another stick burner smoker I would buy the Myron Mixon H2o smoker as I got to see one in action at his class and they are well made smokers. Insulated smokers are awesome. I know my lang is not insulated and I know the Yoder is not either. I plan to use my new smoker for catering and Im not sure if a pellet smoker is the right choice. Many other catering companies all use real wood. I first like the cimarron because of the wow factor. It look awesome. I know they make a cimarron wood smoker but if I got a wood smoker I would go with the H20 smoker from myron Mixon. I have even though about the gravity smoker that myron mixon smokers makes but it don't look cool. I have to add a second smoker soon. My third smoker will be either a southern Pride smoker or a Myron Mixon H20 rotisserie smoker as by then Ill have a store front and I would need something big. But right now I'm not doing a store front. But I'm just thinking if the Yoder-Pellet smoker is a good choice for catering and events. I was all set to put a deposit on the Yoder Cimarron pellet smoker and than I thought about not using wood. Im not sure if I felt Im cheating or what. I bought a lang smoker as my first smoker as thats what BBQ Pitmaster was using on TV and I got into real wood smoking. My only problem with my smoker is keeping cherry wood. Using a pellet smoker it would be easy as I would just buy pellets.

How many use pellet smokers in catering. I have not seen any so it just makes me think. I know if I did KCBS contest I would do better with a pellet smoker. But for catering Im confused what to buy next. If I have two stick burners than I have two hard smokers.

What do you think? Any advice?

I'd personally go with the MM smoker out of the choices, it'll have the most smoke flavor in my opinion. And she'll pretty much run herself with a guru.

I think a pellet smoker would be a great choice for anyone but a stickburner user. You are going to missing out on flavoring you are use to. An insulated style of charcoal smoker would probably make you happier than a pellet cooker. Charcoal is easier to obtain than pellets really.

People use the cookshack products for restaurants,comps, catering, etc. Here is the FEC120. About 1900 square inches, and built to last with commercial components.

There is also the Louisiana super hog. A monster. Two fire pots for two different set Temps if desired. Center divider. Over 2400 square inches. Built very solid, but I wouldn't say commercial necessarily. Awesome cooker nevertheless.

I've seen both of these in action, and they both have their advantages. I've used the superhog, and own it's little brother the whole hog. I definitely think you get a different flavor with pellets, but I wouldn't say you aren't cooking with wood. It's actually 100% hardwood. Just super clean burning. Blue smoke all day long as long as you keep the hopper filled.

I'd strongly suggest looking at either to compliment your current setup.

I have a few different smokers...Yoder has always held a softspot for me. Great cookers and its really plug and play. if i dont have time, I want to cook with ease....Its as easy as the Gasser IMO.

My insulated smoker is my go to out of everything though. Offset has its place and i like the flavors I get off of it and will cook certain things on their. The insulated is really that spot between a pellet and a stick burner IMO.

Here is a youtube of me cooking on mine...can have fun even in the snow :)

[ame]https://youtu.be/zYoOAIy2UR8[/ame]

I would go with one of the many great insulated cabinets like Humphreys, lone star, or a vault. Hugh capacity wind rain or outside temp won't matter, you don't need power to run them.

Humphrey's cubed beast has almost twice the capacity and nearly the same price. Once up to temp it should run almost as easy as the pellet cooker. Smoke flavor should be almost as good as your stick burner.

Edit: LSG insulated cabinet is similar in size at a lower price.

well its really no easy choice. Im going to go to a kcbs contest next month and try and taste some bbq from a pellet smoker and try and compare it to what Im use too. I know many bbq hobby people and comp teams use pellet smokers but have you seen many people that cater use one. i really love the way it looks. Im just not 100% on using pellets and not wood. I thought it was a easy choice.

If I was going to cater, the Cimmaron Pellet would be my last choice. It is a new build/design, and while it is definitely the coolest looking in catering, my fear would be the unknown issues with tons of usage. I would go with the MM, Cookshack FEC model or Ole Hickory Pits. With catering you are trying to satisfy the masses not the specific tastes of a bunch of dudes and ladies on a BBQ message board.

well its really no easy choice. Im going to go to a kcbs contest next month and try and taste some bbq from a pellet smoker and try and compare it to what Im use too. I know many bbq hobby people and comp teams use pellet smokers but have you seen many people that cater use one. i really love the way it looks. Im just not 100% on using pellets and not wood. I thought it was a easy choice.
I think I've seen a few FEC100's for sale in the past that were being used commercially.

Pellet Smoker = less smoke flavor

I did hear of a fellar running a KickAzz weekend BBQ Joint with a Stumps XL Stretch.........just what I heard............ :heh:

Thanks for the advice. Im leaning towards buying a Myron Mixon smoker h20. When and if I open a restaurant I would buy his rotisserie water smoker over a southern pride. I would want to be different. Many use southern prides.

don't be afraid of a pellet smoker. set it and forget it, which lets you focus on the food and customer service

Back