Pulled Pork anyone?

dcollins437

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm new to this site, hubby is the bbq'er in our family. Our daughter is getting married in March and she wants bbq at her "backyard" reception.

We were thinking tri-tip (we live in So California - please don't say Cali it drives me nuts!) pulled pork and smoked sausages. There will be about 100 folks attending. I was ready to call a caterer, but then I found this site and my nerves are calming a bit.

We have a Treager (Jr) and a bigger non pellet smoker. Hubby's eyes were glazing over a bit when I told him I wanted him to cook for the party. I have to convince him we can do this. And when I say we, I mean HIM!

Basically my questions are.
1. Can we cook any of the meats a day prior to the event and warm them up without drying them out?
2. I would like advice on a smoked pulled pork recipe. (I haven't been a member long enough to get the link to the recipes)
3. Are we crazy to think we can do this ourselves????

Thank you all for not rolling your eyes...

First: just go to the bottom of any page here, and use the google search window. It searches this site only. Tons of threads about pulled pork etc.
Second: Yes you can---do it.
Third: Welcome to the forum.
and, I will call it Calif if you want. Means Come And Live in Florida.:biggrin1:

Welcome! There are many options. There are folks here that are used to making great BBQ for a large number of people. Pulled pork is a good choice considering the equipment you 'er your husband will be using.

Welcome! I would suggest enjoying the day and letting someone else take on the stress of the reception Q. :-D

Of course you can do it! But as mentioned above will you be able to enjoy your daughters special day as much being over a cooker? The sausages and PP can be done a couple days in advance but I wouldn't recommend doing the tri-tip early but I have only cooked one tri-tip ever so others may know of a way to reheat and keep them fresh. As far as recipes I would also use the search bar below and find the method or combination of methods that best work for you. Good luck and welcome!

You'd better practice for large groups before the big day.
I personally would not do it.

It can be done, but like others have mentioned you might not want to, especially being new at it. It will be stressful. I actually cooked for my own wedding ahead of time, and had someone else reheat it day of, and that was stressful enough for me. I initially was going to do that part also, but the look on my wife's face when I suggested it was enough to change my mind :-D

It can be done, but like others have mentioned you might not want to, especially being new at it. It will be stressful. I actually cooked for my own wedding ahead of time, and had someone else reheat it day of, and that was stressful enough for me. I initially was going to do that part also, but the look on my wife's face when I suggested it was enough to change my mind :-D

Don't make him cook if he doesn't want to cause it's a special day.

Yes food can be cooked in advance, but I too agree with Smokinfatties...

Instead of asking him to cook, maybe he can train a friend to cook and lighten his load on and before that day...

Its can be done, you'll need ~66lbs raw pork(1/3 per person, 50% weight loss during cooking). It can be all cooked ahead of time, pull it to chunks vac seal it, then use boiling water to reheat... works great.

I won't tell you if you can or can't do this its your call and yours alone. I do this for a living and I know I wouldn't want to do it on my daughters wedding day. I would want someone else to worry/deal with it. maybe you can cook it ahead of time and have a friend do all the work the day of...

Good luck
Clint

I would suggest, that if you have not cooked tri-tip for that many folks, the wedding day is not the day to do it. I note that you are talking a March wedding, that is not actually very far off, and although Cali-forneeyah cooking is tri-tip, it is one of the trickier things to pull off if you haven't done it before.

You can do pulled pork ahead of time, that is easy enough. And sides are easy to manage for 100 ahead of time as well, but, do you really want to have him spending the day before cooking and making a mess?

Good luck with that. A traeger junior wow. It is a bit much for that little guy to handle. I have one and it is a great work horse. Just that may be over killing it for that little guy. I know you said he has another smoker but what does he have? I never cooked or have eaten tri tip. So no idea on that. Pulled pork is doable. May I suggest chicken? Cook at 350 about half hour and you can probably reheat that with good results. Make sure you brine the chicken pieces or they will dry out when you reheat them. Brined chicken keeps moisture even when reheating it. I did it for my sons birthday on the traeger for about 20 people so multiply it times 5. Oh and never try a new smoker on an event like this. I also had my very first grease fire on a new smoker on my sons birthday. Lucky only 2 people noticed. Got the fire out quick. Rigatoni is great for wedding and you can make it and reheat it. Pasta is cheap and easy.

There is nothing more than I want than to see you and your husband achieve this cook, but in my honest opinion and experience - the last thing you probably want to be doing is constantly monitoring a smoker - and this opinion is in reference to cooking a standard pork shoulder or butt for a group of say 10. Cooking for 10 is no walk in the park, especially when trying to socialize as well. Cooking for 100, that is in the realm of a massive undertaking. I have some amazingly accomplished chef friends, restauranteurs (even owing multiple spots), and even they stress the challenges/requirements of catering for larger groups and why they lean away from that side of the business. I personally love hosting bbq events, and no matter how much mise en place and prep I do - it always seems like the food takes up more time than expected. As an example, My best friend asked me if I would cook some ribs for his engagement party. Approximately 80 to 100 in attendance, my contribution would be a small aspect of the whole food program . Long story short, 25ish racks of ribs smoked on weber kettles in around 24 hours non-stop during one of the worst rain storms I can remember (quickly scrambling to build makeshift shelters while seemingly under a waterfall, that continued for HOURS). In that situation, it was fun and luckily had a friend to keep me company and make sure I always had a cold beer in hand. After coming off the smokers, I wrapped them in 2 layers of foil with a tiny bit of bbq sauce and then vacuum sealed them, and threw them in ice water before putting them in a fridge. On the day of the event (1 day later), I removed the vacuum seal, brought them up to proper temperature and then brushed them with a bit of sauce and did a quick sear. They turned out amazing, but even at the party - I missed more than half of the party working on serving the ribs. It was such a fun experience and I hope you will one day do it as well, but I never ever anticipated how much time, work and attention that would ultimately require. My thoughts would be to maybe research some chefs or caterers who are into bbq and build a menu with them, and let them deal with everything while you enjoy one of the most incredible days for your family.

Last edited:
I think it depends on the day if it's a sit down, dressy, traditional champagne toast thing let someone else do it. If its a t-shirt, flip flop, keg thing go for it cooking yourself is half the fun.

I think Ironmanerik make a really good point. I was going to initially advise against cooking it yourselves, but it depends on the situation. I would also think it would be advantageous to have a friend man the pit if you're going to cook rather than having your husband watch it the entire time.

You sure chose the right product for a next day serving as Pulled Pork can take 12-15 hours and having the Treager makes it even easier (just need to make sure you restoke the pellets) so hubby can prep, rub, and put on sholder the evening before (or morning of) the event and it will be fresh and ready!

Using the pellet cooker is carefree. Hell mine even has an app and a remote! Not sure how much that Treager can hold but a good excuse to get a bigger pellet smoker and still cost less than hiring a caterer. (Check out Green Mountain Grills Jim Bowie model). http://greenmountaingrills.com

There's lots of great sides that can be warmed up or served cold. Check out disposable catering pans and sterno.

Enjoy and don't worry. I'm sure your husband will rock this!

But . . . . HIRE A BARTENDER!!!! You'll be glad you did! You cannot do both.

Back