Guanciale

oifmarine2003

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I tried my hand at making guanciale in the curing chamber. This is made from the hog cheeks (called jowl).

Here are the jowls after we butchered a hog a couple of months ago.

Trimmed them up, removed some glands, applied the cure, vacuum sucked them, and put them in the fridge for 20 days to cure.

After the cure was finished, I rinsed, weighed and hung the in the dry curing chamber we affectionately call Richard.

This one took a little over 2 months to reach the magic number of 30% weight loss.

I am very pleased with how it turned out. I will have another 6 to make at butcher time next month. Also going to try to do prosciutto as well, I think.

That is incredible Chris!!
Did it take on any mold during the drying time? It looks fantastic!

That is incredible Chris!!
Did it take on any mold during the drying time? It looks fantastic!

Thanks Sam! Surprisingly, it did not take on any mold. Our chamber was pretty full and most other things got a little mold that I had to wipe of with vinegar every once in awhile but the guanciale never did.

Best and classic use of Guanciale is carbonara....about only thing I do with mine.

I also use a pretty generous coating of herbs...I think rosemary, thyme and oregano.

Best and classic use of Guanciale is carbonara....about only thing I do with mine.

I also use a pretty generous coating of herbs...I think rosemary, thyme and oregano.

I have a carbonara recipe I am planning on trying. That and a bucatini all'amatriciana. Can't wait to try them!

Back