Sunday's cook - rack of pork (w/pix)

effinUker

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Wow, I can't tell you how much I've learned in the past few days just reading these forums. I thought I'd share yesterday's dinner with you.

Started with a 5 lb rack of pork. Gave it a little olive oil massage to make the seasoning stick, and sprinkled it with a salt/pepper/msg/onion powder blend we use on almost everything, fresh cracked 3 pepper melange and fresh ground sea salt.

DSC01430_zps4b3a414f.jpg

I built a snake 'round the charcoal grate on my weber. Topped it off with a blend of cherry/pecan/apple chips for smoke. (I've never seen this technique until this forum, so I'm in uncharted territory so far. Thanks for the great tip!) I had about 20 coals in the chimney, getting it ready to go.

DSC01431_zpsb4f56389.jpg

Dumped the coals and now it's time to cook.

DSC01432_zps6d995482.jpg

I was pretty pleased with the way this worked - I was able to keep a constant 225-235 temp (again, with tips from you all). Here we are about 2 hours in. I had to move the meat to the side so I could cook some burgers for lunch.

DSC01433_zps287413e1.jpg

We eat low carb here - so lunch was a nice whopper salad. I cooked the burgers at 235 for almost an hour, turning once halfway through. My wife makes a rockin' salad dressing that tastes like a whopper. Add lettuce, bacon, tomato, onion & a little cheese - viola!

DSC01435_zpse60dccb9.jpg

When the burgers were done, I threw on a couple of pounds of Italian sausage links from a local sausage guy, and a couple patties of Old Folks Italian sausage. I forgot to take pix of them, but they look amazing too.

OK, back the project at hand - here we are about 4-4 1/5 hour in - the thermometer reads 160, so I pulled it & let it rest for 30 minutes.

DSC01437_zps43f32075.jpg

Here it is sliced after 30 minutes of resting. Moist and juicy.

DSC01439_zps35ee1365.jpg

DSC01440_zps1765f75e.jpg

DSC01441_zps96d16d1f.jpg

Dinner's almost ready. I fired the grill back up for direct heat to give the chops some grill marks. But why waste the heat? I cooked up several packages of breakfast sausages for the upcoming weeks.

DSC01442_zpse98be021.jpg

Here we finally are. A nice seared chop off that rack, with a broccoli ranch salad to go with it.

DSC01444_zps153834e9.jpg

Thanks!

That looks really good. I'm a big fan of Whoppers. Any chance on sharing that Whopper Salad dressing recipe?

Last edited:
Nice cook. Looks like the weber has a little experience on it.

It all looks great Uker, nice job!!

Thanks for all the comments & compliments y'all. I'm already looking forward to my next cook.

Back