Need advice

Texas Turtle

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Three Christmases ago, my two daughters and their husbands went to Sams and bought me this semi-monster gasser with 5 burners, side burner/pannini press, infrared rotisserie burner, built-in lights etc. I went out to clean it up last weekend and found the bottom rusted out of it so there was nothing between the brass burners and the propane bottle. I dug out the instruction book and started looking for replacement parts. The bottom piece isn't listed separately, so I would have to order the entire grill enclosure and figure out how to unweld the thing from the cart to change it. This grill has been a nice piece of equipment and I have had it up to 650 on the built-in thermo to sear steaks. I hate to trash it, but the parts to put it back together are going to run about $600 and more work than it's worth. I'm thinking of recycling the metal and buying a cheap Weber gasser since I don't use it for mush except steaks, burgers & chicken breasts. I am getting sick of throwing these units out every 4 years. How do the rest of the Brethren handle this problem? Thanks for the input.

I've taken to making it pretty specific what my long-range BBQ purchase plans are. Seriously.

"I'm saving up to buy a _______."

And then people (like my inlaws) will just give me cash to put towards it, rather than spending money on something I don't want.

And if I openly criticize "Big Box Gas Grill", or whatever, and do it enough, they'll avoid buying that.

It works some of the time....

By the way, in case any of you are interested in assisting, I'm saving up to buy a Weber Genesis E-330. :p

I use a Bar-B-Kettle, I can light a chimney of charcoal and be cooking in 15 min about the same time it takes to preheat a Gasser. Been cooking on the same one for 24 yrs 3-7 days a week.

No gasser in line up. Blue speaks true.

Last edited:
I got a cheapo gasser. I'd put a sheet of thin gauge scrap sheet metal across the bottom and keep using it till it dies - bolt on some angle to hold it. Go to metal scrap yard or find someone ditching a fridge freezer or washer dryer.

Find a welding/ fabrication shop and see what they would charge to repair it for you.

If you want a gas grill, buy the Weber. The E-330 that SuburbSlicker mentioned is a very good choice.

If the burners, flavorizer bars, lid, sides, etc are all still good I probably wouldn't chunk it out. I'd get some sheet metal for the bottom and rivet it in. If you only grill with it (no long cooks) then I would probably try aluminum sheet metal.

I stopped buying cheap gassers after a few died early. I have an MHP that is not fancy but it is around 18 years old and still going. I had a Vermont Castings for 11 years, and the Webers do seem to last although I think they are overpriced. If it comes down to money I would buy a smaller unit of a quality brand instead of going for the fancy features.

Back