Anyone slice/cook burnt ends after 2-3 hours of resting brisket?

Sauce Dog

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm finally going to try a hot and fast brisket cook...Bludawg method. I'm also hoping to test out some burnt end recipes, but I don't want to unwrap the butcher paper until after the briskey rests for 2-3 hours.

Any thoughts on resting, then slicing / cooking burnt ends vs. cooking them immediately afterwards? I'm sure either process will be good, just curious about any affects on tenderness.

-Cheers

You aren't going to vent the paper after you cook it? You can always just pull the point at that time.

To your question, yes, you can do what you are proposing, just takes longer.

You can definitely do the burnt ends both ways. Either after holding or right after you pull the brisket.

You aren't going to vent the paper after you cook it? You can always just pull the point at that time.

To your question, yes, you can do what you are proposing, just takes longer.

That was my original plan but when reading some past threads on Bludawg's method I thought it involved keeping it wrapped from cooker throughout the rest. That said, I'm also a little concerned about moist bark. I use a fairly hearty dry rub, so it may hold up. I also usually don't wrap my brisket but I got some butcher paper this time to try the H&F.

Typical me, I'm doing about 3 different experiments with this cook.

To be honest, I don't cook Bludawg method, although I know we are close in process. Since I cook to probe tender in the flat, I like to vent the paper for 10 to 15 minutes prior to the rest. But, I rest a long time in a cooler, and I think he rests on the counter

I'm leaning towards venting, slicing out the burnt ends, then resting in cambro. I'll try to post some Pron.

Back