• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Creosote

Unkel Jed

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I've cooked 5 racks of ribs and a turkey since making mods to my CG Smokin pro. I noticed after cooking this last 2 racks of ribs I had heavy creosote.... I thought I had good air flow and wood was dry.... I started fire with charcoal and got me a good bed of hickory coals...I used cherry for smoke... Any Ideas??

I was trying to keep temp between 225 and 250.... Pretty sure it's creosote..It was black and shiney...

No..Just coated pretty heavy.... Most of it is on the outlet end of cooker... I will take pictures in the morning ....

Last edited:
Pictures would help...

How does the smoke smell? Bad smoke smells bad, but will also taste bad when you eat the meat leaving a bitter acrid taste.

Sometimes grease can be carried to the side of the smoker from nearby meat and can leave a shiny coating similar to seasoning of your smoker. This is harmless if this is the case.

Looking for your pictures...

Sounds like you are breaking it in.:clap:

After 10+ years;

10440735_719740244787182_3547633968769860537_n.jpg

Later,
Doug

Pictures would help...

How does the smoke smell? Bad smoke smells bad, but will also taste bad when you eat the meat leaving a bitter acrid taste.

Sometimes grease can be carried to the side of the smoker from nearby meat and can leave a shiny coating similar to seasoning of your smoker. This is harmless if this is the case.

Looking for your pictures...

What he said.

If I do a lot of Q on my pit over a relatively short period of time it will do the same thing, especially if the Q is brisket and butts. And, the smaller the pit, the quicker it will happen..

Change in rub? Maybe more sugar? Open up the top vent and remember grey smoke is bad, light blue is gold. I had that issue when I was breaking in and learning my new smoker. It was bitter in taste and made your tongue semi numb. No issues once I figured out my smoker, all smokers have a learning curve.

Creasote isn't a bad thing, and you can scrape it off if it starts to flake. I get this with my stick burner, and have no problem with taste. I actually kinda judge a pit on the eveness of the coating, and think that it does help protect against rust. It's only a pain with condensation and flaking with it starts to fall on the food.

Back