Holiday Ham

Fallen Kell

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm doing a test Holiday Ham tomorrow. Been reading up everything I can from all kinds of places. I think I have settled on the following:

I made a paste rub:
1/2 cup turbinado sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tbl black pepper
2 tbl maple syrup
1-2 tbl bourbon (I used the good stuff since it has great flavor, 4 Roses Single Barrel, Barrel Strength)

I scored the ham, injected with about 1 cup maple syrup, and then coated it with the above paste (start with 1 tbl bourbon and mix a little more bourbon into it if you need more liquid). Put it in a bag to marinate/soak in for about 24 hours.

Gonna make a basting sauce tomorrow to drizzle on the ham (and give it a little more of the paste) to build up a nice crust while cooking (mix of apple juice, orange juice, maple syrup, and a little more bourbon). Will smoke it pretty hot since it is already a fully cooked/smoked ham and there isn't a lot of fat that will render, so probably around 325 for ~4 hours or so (its a 8-9 lb ham), until it hits about 160. I will give it a basting before it goes in, and then probably another one after the first hour and then every half hour after that.

Wanted to do a test run before Christmas to make sure it tastes good (don't want to do something completely new to the main dish at a big event).

Good luck on the ham. Looks like a solid plan. The only thing that I do different on the pre cooked hams is I pull them when the internal hits 140. That's just personal preference though.

Good luck on the ham. Looks like a solid plan. The only thing that I do different on the pre cooked hams is I pull them when the internal hits 140. That's just personal preference though.
I prefer to pull at 140 on the pre-cooked hams also.

This our go to quick and easy family favorite ham:
Single smoked, usually a half.
Scored, very light coat of mustard, very heavy coat of dizzy pig pineapple head, set it cut side down in foil pan, cake brown sugar on all exposed surfaces, toothpick in pineapple slices, pour rest of pineapple juice in bottom of pan, on pit at 225° with apple or sometimes maple wood. Cover pan around half way to temp, pull off at 140, Rest a bit. Final step..everyone eat like a pig.:grin:

This is a recipe I have used every year and it is DA BOMB! I use a UDS of course!! :biggrin1: I never see anything but spiral cut hams when I shop. It seems as if your recipe is going for an uncut ham.Where do you find those? Maybe I am blind.

Maple-Bourbon Ham*
by John Hall (egret)

Ingredients :
Maple-Bourbon Paste (recipe follows)
10-12 # cooked, ready to eat Ham (bone-in Butt or Shank section)
1/2-1 cup Maple Syrup
Cherry and Apple Chunks

Preparation :
The day before smoking, place ham in a pan flat side down. Inject in multiple
locations with maple syrup (use more than 1 cup if it will take it).
Smear the Maple-Bourbon Paste all over the exposed surfaces (except flat side).
Cover loosely with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator until ready to smoke (You
can remove ham from refrigerator up to one hour before cooking).
Stabilize egg at 250° F. with plate setter (legs up) regular grid with raised
grid attached. Put 3 or 4 good size chunks of wood on coals, then place ham on
raised grid. Cook until internal temperature reaches 140° F. (this should take about
5 hours).

Maple-Bourbon Paste
2 Tbls. pure Maple Syrup
2 Tbls. freshly ground Black Pepper
2 Tbls. Dijon or Honey-Dijon Mustard
1 Tbls. Bourbon
1 Tbls. Vegetable Oil
1 Tbls. Paprika
1 Tbls. Onion Powder
2 tsp. coarse Salt, either kosher or sea salt

anByGx7.jpg

Just before I put it on the pit (been on for about 1 hour now)

Yeah the flash in the pre-carved one makes it look darker than it was. The carved photo was more like how it really looked.

Back