• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Broil King Keg Reviews

TXLX

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Does anyone here have a Broil King Keg? Seems like it has really good reviews and I like the steel construction. I'm thinking this is going to be a great compromise instead of getting a new smoker and a new gas grill. Any opinions and comparison to BGE and BGE knockoffs appreciated.

I have (3) Broil King Kegs and can tell you they are great cookers. I mostly use mine for grilling, as I have a stick burner, but they are fine smokers too. Built like tanks and by no means are they fragile like the ceramics. The only problem I have is the ever increasing $$ on their product (I paid less than $400/ea for 2 of mine). I've also cooked on the Akorn and achieved similar results - they are 1/2 the price. Don't get me wrong though, the Akorn is not near the quality of the Keg.

I've had several different kamados including the Bubba Keg (which is what it was called by the company who originally invented it before they sold it).

The keg has an upper swing grate that is just awesome. I love that feature. It's also much more durable and portable than the ceramic grills. They burn MUCH less charcoal. I've never measured the exact amount by I'd say less than half of a similar sized ceramic. Unlike ceramics, you have to get a keg REALLY hot on the inside for the walls to feel too hot to touch on the outside. There are no ceramic parts that can crack.

The ceramics have way better temperature stability and they are easier to bring the temperature down when you need to. They also feel more substantial because they are (they weigh almost 3 times as much). Assuming you don't drop them, ceramics will probably last longer because the body won't rust over time.

If you need to move it, the hitch, weight and durability make the keg a no brainer. If it's just going to sit on your porch, I'd probably go with whatever is cheapest unless you are going to be doing a lot of low and slow...in which case I would recommend a ceramic.

For the record, I'm currently driving a kamado joe and it's my favorite I've had, but seriously, I don't think you can make a bad decision on this one. They are all awesome.

I hope this helps.

I am very happy with mine found it on Craig's list and was to reasonable to pass up. It is great for steaks and smokes stuff just as well. Only problem is I just don't take the time to use it enough. For what you are asking would be perfect and takes up little space grills and smokes and easy on charcoal. Good Luck

Thanks guys this is what I needed. They are kind of pricey, $900 on amazon, but I think it will be a good compromise between a new smoker and new grill.

You won't be disappointed. I've had the Big Steel Keg for years and love the thing. :thumb:

I thought HOG FAN would be a good name due to my fondness of BBQ as well as the Razorbacks. Looks like you kind of beat me to the punch. Either way, Go Hogs Go!

Great minds think alike. ;-)

I grew up and lived my whole life in Arkansas until I was about 26 years old. "hogsfan" used to be my customized license plate on my car. It was a sad day when I had to move to Dallas for work and had to let that license plate go. lol.

I still have that plate around here somewhere.

My BSK makes a trip up north to fish camp every fall. I sometimes use an Auburn blower system. Last year we ran that smoker for 6 days straight and used less than 10# of lump charcoal.
Love that thing.

Might compare warranties on the keg vs kamados. Also, note the differences in the keg models vs. price points. It's a good alternative if needing to move the cooker a bunch. If mobility is not a need, then I'd go more traditional ceramics because of the warranty and local availability of a dealers for warranty claims.

t

Great minds think alike. ;-)

I grew up and lived my whole life in Arkansas until I was about 26 years old. "hogsfan" used to be my customized license plate on my car. It was a sad day when I had to move to Dallas for work and had to let that license plate go. lol.

I still have that plate around here somewhere.

So I trust you will be pulling for the hogs in the AdvoCare bowl? I saw the "BEAT TEXAS" shirts in the Razorback Store today. Maybe I should send one your way, probably can't buy them in your neck of the woods.

I LOVE my Keg.

I'm new here and always looking for fellow Keg'ers to share tips and recipes with. Thanks for the links buccanneer!

Sorry to dig up such an old thread, but the search function doesn't really sort them by date.

I had a keg before I got my egg.

The Keg was a nice cooker. Made awesome steaks, and bbq. I feel like it used a little more charcoal and the temp fluctuated a bit more than my egg. I found mine for $300 so it was a steal. If I had money for both this is what I would do.

Egg if it's staying on your deck
Keg if you are moving it around a bunch

I LOVE my Keg.

I'm new here and always looking for fellow Keg'ers to share tips and recipes with. Thanks for the links buccanneer!

Sorry to dig up such an old thread, but the search function doesn't really sort them by date.

forum.bigsteelkeg.com is frequently used and a great asset for anyone that uses a keg.

Yep, I've spent some time at the bigsteelkeg forums, too much time lol.

I went Keg because it's portable. I have the hitch adapter for mine and it's traveled 1000's of miles with me on camping trips and trips back to home to the cottage in the summer. It's stood up to that abuse amazingly well.

I also like that it doesn't get hot to the touch, that's a nice feature when you have young kids like I do and there's often big crowds around.

Waxy

Gotta agree with all the comments here about the keg. Very fuel efficient. IMO it's a better grill than smoker because it likes to get crazy hot if given enough air. You can smoke just fine on it, you just have to nurse the temps up slowly because the temp isn't coming down if you blow past your target temp.

Back