Not a fan of grease drippings - UDS

You could put whatever you're cooking in a pan and raise the meat on a rack in that pan. Then, you can defat the drippings and use it for a sauce.

This is my plan next cook. I've smoked and braised prok shoulders in pans, but not anything else. I have some pans large enough to fit a brisket. Just need to find some square racks that will fit the pan.

Ribs seem to turn out fine sitting bare on the rack though.

I have a second rack that I place a thick 16" terra cota plate on. It gives me a heat sink as well. At least that's what I tell myself. If I need the second rack I place it directly on top of my coal basket.

^^This. I'm almost starting to think you have to run with water to prevent this. But I'd really like to hear something from someone who knows for a certainty.

You don't need water, keep the foil from hitting the bottom of the aluminum pan and it won't burn. Temp doesn't matter, I cook at 315 to 325 typically for poultry and do not have any problems. Lower for beef/pork. If you want, dump in 1 cup of water into the pan to so the first few drippings don't burn till the tray gets enough drippings going to keep from any chance of burning. You can see the trays under the meats.

I use a smaller grate, wrapped in aluminum foil sitting directly on the basket to stop drippings hit the coals, it works great and you can throw away the foil instead of cleaning anything.

I to, find the burnt grease taste a little harsh (am used to a clean stick burner taste). On my latest UDS build, I simply put bolts in for three racks, 6 inches apart and use the bottom rack to hold an aluminum half pan. I take foil, and cover the half pan, leaving a inch or two depression to catch grease. While a half pan doesn't cover a 22inch grate completely...it does catch a substantial amount of grease and with the depressed foil layer,it doesn't burn. When I'm done, it all gets tossed.

I do something very similar. On the third rack, I use two aluminum pans, fill them with lava rocks, and cover with two layers of foil. I change out the foil after two or three cooks, depending on how messy the foil gets. Easy peasy and no burnt grease taste.

This is a worthwhile thread. Just when I thought I had the UDS mastered, it handed me some burnt grease tasting food.

Does the pan being that close to the fire smoke the grease when hits the pan? I suppose if you are running at lower temps may not be an issue, but I've grown to like cooking at 270°+

I cook at 300 a lot of the time, and it doesn't "smoke" the grease. If you are concerned, raise the pan up a few more inches. Try it, you might like it.

???? How may of you use a Weber Gasser, Hmmm................ They have a lil somthin somethin called Falvorizor bars. Those bars preform the same function as cooking over the coals. The hot juices drip on to the bars where they burn and give off a smoky essence that rises and adds a smokey flavor. Sorta why burgers & steaks just taste betta off a Charcoal grillover the coals as to being cooked in a skillet. So don't be so fast to dis the process. Ever ate Hawg cooked over an open pit NC Style???? Same process as a UDS that is it's Sellin point! IDK I sorta like it myself but I'm a cranky old bastard and I drink my likker straight too.

Back